small review - Randall RM20 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small review - Randall RM20 combo

Specs: 1x12 vintage 30 loaded combo, all tube, uses one Randall MTS module so you can configure it several different ways. Has a gain and volume boost that is footswitchable, so you can add more preamp gain *and* volume, or just gain, or just volume. Very cool feature. Line level tube buffered series fx loop, and a really nice sounding recording XLR output. Can also do 'silent recording' with the the XLR and the internal speaker muted.

Used it at a band rehearsal where we were playing 70s rock and 80s pop stuff... amp worked great. Reminded me of the Mesa .22+ amps I had in the past, but with a better tone - beefier, not as raspy. Amp is single channel, but even on the higher gain modules, you could get a passable rock clean by rolling the guitar volume back. The footswitchable boost makes it pretty useful too, since you can dial in a good level for solos and give your tone more grind/gain at the same time. It's all tube, so it sounds better IMHO than boosting with a pedal, and it's not as noisy either.

I tried it with a Blackface (fender inspired) module - sounded great, a lot like a Princeton. With the boost engaged and cranked gain-wise, one could do country solos and maybe 70s rock stuff.

With a Plexi module it was 70s rock to a T... not quite enough gain for me with the boost cranked, but not bad.

The Deluxe module was nice, could do the 70s thing and it cleaned up SUPERBLY. I need to try this with a boost pedal in the front for more gain.

An XTC module was pretty sweet too. Didn't get as clean, but gobs of gain and sustain.

Also tried a stock Recto module, and it was surprisingly versatile. Dialled in tons of mids, and it had a nice bark with the V30.

I'm not sure if I'd buy one new (the Head is $679 street without a module, not sure what the combo is) but used one would be killer for a home or small studio. Apparently Ty Tabor of King's X used one of these for some tracks in the studio. I'm going to try to gig with mine, since it's much lighter than a cab and my rack.

Pete

Nice review Pete. The RM100 doesn't have that foot switchable grain control does it? I would like to play with that.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Pete I am diggin' my RM20 combo too. Did you put the Vintage 30 in it? I think I might change out the stock Greenback. I am like you I would not buy one new but for $260 I could not say no!
      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Originally posted by spencer4hire View Post
        Pete I am diggin' my RM20 combo too. Did you put the Vintage 30 in it? I think I might change out the stock Greenback. I am like you I would not buy one new but for $260 I could not say no!
        I'm an idiot, it has a greenback. DOH. Thought it was a V30. Terrific little amp though, it's probably going to be my classic rock band gig rig. What modules are you using with yours?

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete, did you try any of your modded modules through it?

Comment

ok...this Randall stuff is now sparking my interest
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser View Post
              Hey Pete, did you try any of your modded modules through it?
              Yeah, most of my modules are modded or will be eventually. Randall uses some cheap parts on their modules - I don't like the capacitors they use for coupling or in the tone stack, so I dump those pretty much first thing and then replace some parts with the same type that Bruce Egnater uses on his modules. Makes a difference even if I don't change any parts values... kinda like putting the right tubes in your amp, if that makes sense.

I should have my RM50 soon too... now I'll have the RM20 combo, RM50 head, RM100 head and the RM4 - RT2/50 rack setup. My Randallification will be complete!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                ok...this Randall stuff is now sparking my interest
                These amps are sonic crack... If you ever have any questions, shoot me an email. Wish we lived closer, I'd have ya come over and check em out!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X