I need a new toy - help me pick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new toy - help me pick.

I think my money troubles are over, and if so, it's time for a new toy. Help me pick a new amp. I need something high gain, must have an effects loop and footswitchable channels. Lead boost would be nice, but not crucial, as I can use an EQ pedal in the loop if necessary. I don't really care about the clean channel much, as I never really use it. The most important thing, is bottom end, and low mids. I don't want mud, but some good old stomach churning resonance. I'm not going for an ultra-scooped sound either. I like to use a fair amount of mids, because that's where the tone is.

Please pick one of the amps listed, and explain why.

Also, if you have another option, let me know.
    Splawn Quickrod
    22.95%
    Orange Rockerverb 100
    4.92%
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
    16.39%
    Marshall 6100 Anniversary
    8.20%
    Bogner Uberschall
    47.54%
    Last edited by zeegler; 07-12-2007, 11:08 AM.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
    Please pick one of the amps listed, and explain why.
    dual rec because...

The most important thing, is bottom end, and low mids

mesa absolutely wins in the low mid department...
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I voted Splawn as it has the most complex midrange out of that group and like you said...thats where the tone is.
      The Uber is the most brutal out of the bunch and nothing on your list will come close to it for tight, bowel shaking bottom end. The only reason that I don't have one is that it lacks the midrange complexity that I like (although it still sounds killer...just a little harder and colder compared to what I like).
      I'm not sure how the Splawn's bottom end is as I don't use a bunch in my tone...it is wasted in a live mix so why bother? Mids are where the money is and the QR will do those better than the others

If you can afford it, the VH4 is one of the best new amps that I have had the pleasure to test drive. It can literally do just about anything and does it well. The Herbert may actually be more your thing as it has a monster low end that is still tight as hell.
      Last edited by Rupe; 07-12-2007, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I would really like a Herbert, but it's really more than I want to spend.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Splawn QR got my vote as well. I have an older one with shared EQ and it kicks ass. They are priced very reasonable too...
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Be a man... get a Dual Rec and be done with it. Why mess with all those other "girly" amps?

Comment

Randall MTS.

Comment

i know i can go to the website, but besides the wattage, what's the basic diff between the splawn quick rod and the pro mod?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I own a Dual Rectifier and love it. Great amp. But i voted for the Überschall. The Rectifier is a very nice amp and a good choice for a heavier sound but the Überschall just is in a league of it's own.

Flo
                  http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon View Post
                    i know i can go to the website, but besides the wattage, what's the basic diff between the splawn quick rod and the pro mod?
                    The power section, preamp is the same. The QR uses EL34's (6CA7) and the PM used KT88's (6550). The PM has a tighter, more modern atack whereas the QR is a "browner", looser amp ideal for 80's metal...think modded Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
                      I own a Dual Rectifier and love it. Great amp. But i voted for the Überschall. The Rectifier is a very nice amp and a good choice for a heavier sound but the Überschall just is in a league of it's own.

Flo
                      I was joking earlier. I haven't had the pleasure of playing any of the other amps listed, though I have heard good things about the Quickrod and Uber. I have a Dual Recto too, and I love the thing. The array of tones I get from it is amazing. The only thing I can say bad about it is that it seems really finicky... Sometimes it sounds absolutely incredible and others times it sounds kinda dry and raw... I don't know how else to describe it. We played an outside show last Saturday for example and while the rhythm tone I had dialed in was great, the lead tone I was getting was only so so. Then again, it could've been me... (I have been using modern for rhythms and vintage for leads as of late).

A question about the Uber... I heard it is pretty much a one trick pony... True? I heard that it is basically a metal machine (not only here but HC as well).

Comment

I voted for the Dual Rec too. Extremely versatile and great sounding amp, once you know how to dial it.

Comment

Voted for the Uber since it was the best choice of the bunch you asked.

However.... I just got (last week) a Rivera KTRE w/verb and it absolutely rips. I like it so much that my beloved ENGL PB might soon be history.
                          I've gone through the whole Knucklehead family and this thing is just mean.

I've owned Rectos and currently own a RK, I like it for its amazing flexibility but the Recto sound is getting a bit tired.
                          Give the Rivera a try.
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I have 3 heads currently, Dual Rec., Randall MTS (RM100), and Bogner Uberschall. All are good heads but as someone pointed out above, the Uberschall is in a league of its own. That thing just flat out annhilates any other amps in its path

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Take a guess what I picked!

..a no brainer!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X