X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm..cool...
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Zeegs, I have the footswitch. But I never use it. I just play through the high gain channel..like Fall Out Boy's Joe Trohman does..I guess.

Joe Trohman.."I just play distortion the whole time. I've messed with pedals before, and they're awesome, but I played in many hardcore bands for many years, and as long as I could find a guitar, a head and a cab, I was pretty happy. I still work with that mentality. If I want to sound less pummeling, I'll pick the strings more lightly.Sometimes I roll the guitar's volume knob back a little bit, but mostly I use lighter picking."

Favorite Piece of Gear.."My Bogner Uberschall. It does everything I want an amp to do, and more. I waited months for it, because Bogner makes them by hand, but it was worth the waite.This might sound funny, but prior to my Uberchall,the only time I heard the amp was when I went on the Bogner website. They have sounds clips up there and the Uberschall sounded amazing, so I decided to take a chance and order it".

Nick Bowcutt of GW...."At last after more than 40 installments of Vulgar Display Of Power". we've finally come across a guitarist whose rig consists nothing more than a guitar plugged straight into an amp."

Cleveland John and I messed with my Recto until we were blue in the face for well over a year. I've had many friends who play them, and played one recently at GC. I feel the same about them as I did when it debut aprrox. 16 years ago..

I personally don't like them, but many players do fine with them..that's all that matters.

This is very easy to find out...Guitar Centers are chock full of them. I strongly advise to check out the JSX while you're there..and some other amps that are being mentioned lately, like that Randall Pete's been messin' with..may as well.

My personal conviction stands..My Uber is the best head I've ever heard/owned or played.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
        Right you are Bill. I wish I could try out your rig too. Maybe one day. My Dad lives in Chicago (Joliet actually) and when I go visit him, I normally drive through Detroit, but I could always go the long way, and go through Cleveland. Or, even better, I'll probably be hitting Cedar Point next year with the wife and kid. You feel like some company?

If I do stop by, you gotta take me for a spin in that yellow beastie too.
        Absolutely!!!!, that would be awesome..throw me a PM..when you're coming my way!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Absolutely!!!!, that would be awesome..throw me a PM..when you're coming my way!
          For sure mang!!
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Zeegz..joo know sumthin' mang..?

Uberz is da only peeg that could fly straight....I never like doz fuggin' rectoz mang..those cockaroochez.. :ROTF:

Bill Z Montana

Comment

So to summarize: Uberschall!

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I went for the Orange. Tone for miles, completely the opposite of what I was expecting, I loved it!
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Zeeg's, what did you end up getting? I'm looking at the Uber and the Soldano SLO-100 with, the Haynes, Lowend and Power 50/100 Watt switch Mods. I'm trying to find these, so I can test them out.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

LOL, I can't fucking make my mind up.

Here's the shortlist

Orange Rockerverb 100
                    Bogner Uber
                    Rivera K-Tre
                    Marshall 6100

I could get one of those, OR, I've been thinking about maybe getting an older Mesa Dual Caliber AND a Knucklehead 55

2 amps is better than 1 right.

Anyway, it's really tough for me to make a decision one way or the other without trying them out, but unfortunately, I can't.

I'm just gonna have to make a choice and go with it.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. I may have to take a drive out to Austin to try these amps out. In a city as large as Houston, no one stocks these. Research though will help you through, but hearing an amp to me is very subjective. Hard to decide!
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You guys make me want an Uberschall so bad

Too bad they're $2700

Comment

Originally posted by Codyyy View Post
                          You guys make me want an Uberschall so bad

Too bad they're $2700
                          Hey, how about the SLO-100 I just ordered $4,150 with ALL the Mods. Ouch, that's going to hurt for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            The Uber is a "one trick pony" only if you are..like me.

It has a GREAT clean channel..and it can be tamed to do classic VH (much more than any 5150)..or even fatter sounding "Flick of the switch" tone..or flat out brutality..which is what I like!

I use NO stomps!
                            I am right with you on one point Horns. The uber is a one trick pony but, that one trick is like a blowjob from a chick that can clean her eyes with her tongue. The only thing that I am using right now for effects is a Rane 5 band parametric EQ for just a little more shape. Absolutely no boost is needed with this amp.

But, I think the clean channel is definately not my taste at all. I am getting a Digitech 1101 just to model a better clean tone and for some effects but, still have that badasstical uber distortion.

BTW, I voted uber.

-Nate
                            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Buy a Mesa Recto, but might I suggest a 2 Channel over the 3.

Comment

I'm am high..I happily rambled on another thread..I guess it appiles here too

We all have our tone in our brain. We know what feels, and sounds good/ bad when we hear it. That is a personal connection our "mojo" , the guitar and amp.

How many years have we tweaked and twiddled countless amounts of gear to convey our TONE from our head, to our fingers, to our ears..

How many times have you played a rig that a friend/bandmates sound awesome with. The first thing you want to do is go for the bass, mid, treble, presence, and gain knobs. As soon as you plug into THEIR tone, you instantly know it's not your tone..or maybe it could be.

I never been more content with my tone since I've been playing. I discovered it is dialed in to my "touch", and conveys exactly what I want to hear. But I will try anything I see. If it's "better" I'll own it..that's a personal choice.

Here's what happened today..

My kid and I always help each other learn stuff. I teach him what I know, which he picks it up fast. I solo and try harmonies over shit. I'm constantly schooling him on his hand position, but he won't budge. His hand is super-glued over the neck pup, but he sounds just fine with his Line 6 and the Marshall. Today, he wanted to switch amps..so we did. He sounds like SHIT with the Bogner. It was so bad, he was laughing..while I called him a dick for making the Uber sound like a cruddy bass amp. I should make him always play it...forcing him to adjust his hand. He has his own thing going, and comes up with shit I can't grasp..so fuggit.

It's ALL in a players touch. I'm the same way with a Recto. I can NOT fuggin' play them. I sound like my kid with the Bogner. Rectos are tried and true "quality" amps that I can not get along with. But, all know what I think of Jeff Loomis and his Recto..

Several friends (good players) played my shit. Some prefer the Marshall. Most prefer the Bogner and sound great, especially over drums. That's where your tone needs to be anyway. I firmly believe you can not fine tune your tone without drums..at the very least. Whenever you dial-in a sound your content with...it'll go right out the window when you add drums, bass, vocals, and especially another guitar in the mix..then it's battle of the midrange!

There is countless threads asking what amp is best for them. That's cool for peronal tastes, styles and reviews of our credible ampfolk . But the only way you'll find YOUR amp, is trying them yourself ..with your ears kissing the speaker cones..that's where the tone is..and that's where the mic goes!!!

Nated..I agree!!! After many years and amps searching for MY tone, the Bogner is by far the best amp I've discovered thus far. Until something better comes along, it's all about The Uberschall. You're a better judge than I about the clean channel, I don't use it at all. I am definitely a "One trick pony" kinda player. Any "dynamics" is my touch and volume knob. Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) used to use a Larry with a BBE 422 and A/B that with a Roland Jazz Chorus for cleans when Barlow was still in. Last time I seen Iced Earth he used Uberschall for both duties and it sounded pretty fuggin' good..he does all the switching himself. There is ALOT of channel switch in those songs.

For really "heavy" stuff..I haven't heard an amp with the raw girth and growl of an Uberschall..not yet. I'll let ya know when I do..

Bill Z Bub
                                Last edited by horns666; 10-06-2007, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X