No announcement yet.

I need a new toy - help me pick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW..I played a Marshall JVM for well over an hour. I went for the tightest, chunkiest, sickest tone I could get from it. Not bad, huge improvement from a DSL/TSL IMO..

I played a Recto (again)..turned it off in five minutes like always. I been doing that same dance since '92. I bought one when it just came out. To me it's a buzz box ..there is knobs to shape the buzz..bassy buzz..scooped buzz..trebly buzz. Some players do absolutely GREAT with them, but I'm not Jeff Loomis. He had the best Recto sound I've ever heard. I seen him with five different rigs and he sounded best with his Recto...he's a fucker.

I like the JSX..I get more girth, crunch, harmonic response, gain ..with MUCH less noise than the Marshall JVM. Noise was a major issue. I had to walk about 10' and turn away in attempt to stifle the relentless feedback. The JVM instatly reminded me what I dialed up years with my old JCM 800 2203s and a Metal Zone, feed back and all. It definitely has that kinda vibe IMO. It's "crunchy", and I can squeal for days. Concerns in c/w JVM are build quality, and REQUIRES a noise gate!!! Personally, I'd rather have a '92 30th Anniversary , old JMP w/stomp, 2210, or 2203 w/ stomp. JVM has a decent clean channel, if that's important.

If money was an issue, and NEEDED a nice amp. I must go with the JSX. I can dial-in a great tone within minutes..I really can't even make it sound "bad". Steve had one, and complained about a annoying notched "wah" sound. I personally don't hear that at the store..BUT, I haven't had one home cranked over loud drums.

The standard 5150 w/ BBE 422 is very passable for a cool chunky/crunchy tone..I had many of those for years. They are touchy to dial, they "flub" easily, they can definitely sound horrible in the wrong hands. They can sound great in the right hands..leads tones sound somewhat "dead" ..unless you go Amott with a stomp and wah..I'm not a clean channel person..but know what a good clean sound is. The 5150 or 5150II just doesn't cut it. You can get by, but nothing outstanding there. You must dry hump, and lick the G spots of the 5150 to make it love you. That's what I did!!

JSX over 5150 for me. It has the chunk and girth required for my personal metal coolness. Very tight, smooth and focused rythm and lead tones..think classic VH with more balls. The JSX actually should have been the 5150. It is MUCH closer to Ed's classic tone than the 5150..that's for certain! Whenever I plug into a JSX..it's Eruptamania!!!..Pretty nice clean channel too..

My opinion are based on my minimal requirements. I'm a silly, thrash robot from the school of VH..I know nothing esle.

Does anyone actually use "crunch" channels or modes??..They always sound muddy and lifeless to me..If I ever want AC/DC..back of the gain on the cool channel, and nail it right!! Well I guess channel switch is essential if your going from AC/DC to Megadeth in a flash. So, that answers my question.

I met Ace at the Edguy show and got to hear alot of amps up close. Best tone of the night was Firewind Gus G and his Randall w/ modules that Petes talks about. Second best tone was Into Eternity with Madison amps, that band ruled that night. I heard two Engl Powerballs in a band called Echoes of Eternity..band was pretty cool (piece of ass singer). Main dude was playing alexi laiho ESP into his Engl. I was in direct earshot of his cab in front of stage during soundcheck..good player..didn't care for his tone much. So I went to his rythm player with same Engl..he had the same tone as the other guy..I was not impressed at all. The both sounded "darker than the Uber with less authority. Edguy used what appeared to be 2203s with stomps..that sounded excatly what you'd expect.

If you have the means, and want "heavy"..Uberschall is the epitome of "heavy"..they don't suck.
    Last edited by horns666; 10-06-2007, 12:39 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Codyyy View Post
      You guys make me want an Uberschall so bad

Too bad they're $2700
      I was lucky..Scored one for 2k about 5 years ago already. Dude had it for three months, lost his job and wanted out of the payment. He put it on Ebay and live 2 1/2 hours away. I went there with the $$, tried it and took it home..I even think I put a seatbelt on it..

I have the receipt..he did pay 2,700 bucks for it..plus tax I believe.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I keep an eye on Uber prices on E-Bay. They do pop up with great prices on there every now and then. Here is an example of one that sold for just under $2K including shipping! Now thats a steal!!!

I'm not affiliated with anyone in that auction, simply had it on my watch list to see what happened. I bought mine new btw.

Rudy
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
        X