X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New halfstack! (Peavey)

Let the pics do the talking first, ok?

With my two babies:

My first tube amp . I got the matching 5150 cab with it too.

I like the sound a lot when cranked, but at low volumes it's kinda "fizzy" if you know what I mean...still good though . When recorded it sounds very smooth, even though it's still a little bit fizzy to me when I listen to it in the room. Anyone else with similar experience?
    Might be the EQ thing though...I'm still looking for that sweet spot...

BTW, this thing is lethal loud! Post-gain on 3-4 and the window shutters start rattling! Can't wait to test it with the band! It sounds soo good when cranked!

BTW...anyone has a PDF Manual for it that I could print it out? There is only one for the 6505 on Peavey's site. I know it's the same thing, but I'd like to have one that is real :P.
    Last edited by Nazgul; 07-13-2007, 09:57 AM.

I know you've probably heard this one before, but a BBE unit will wake this thing up big time! Sorry don't have the manual though.

Comment

Congrats...all tube heads sound so much better than the solid state stuff.

Comment

If you're having issues with the fizz, back off the treble. That might help... When I had my 6505+, that's what I did to get rid of some of that.

**EDIT** just saw your settings. You should be fine where you're at. I think you just may need to turn it up. It will even out a bit more.
        Last edited by khabibissell; 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The gain looks a little high, well at least for my tastes. I rarely take mine past 3. This amp just has crazy gain.
          Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Get a hotPlate and crank the gain. I think you can use one on there maybe i dunno but then you can get them tubes going good..
            "when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
            I just made that quote..

Comment

I agree, just get a hot plate and ruin your tone right off, so you don't have to fight with screwing it up later. I've never had a sound good enough that I would record with while using any type of attenuator. It's been said many a times. Tube amp=turn the gain down a bit, volume up. We had one of these in our warehouse, and it never sounded ripping good until it was up around 4-5 volume.

Comment

Dude, PM me with your email address, I've got a pdf manual. I just sold my 5150 two weeks ago... but still holding onto the manual. Maybe someday I will own one again?
                Sam

Comment

I use a hotplate with my 5150 (and My JSX)and it works great. I can get the post gain up to 4 (where this amp really comes alive ) and cut it back thru the hotplate. Your "fizz" will clean up alot as you turn this sucker up.
                  congrats Nice Rig!
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I had an old 1940's toaster that I used with my 5150's.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      I had an old 1940's toaster that I used with my 5150's.

So, you used to play guitar just before breakfast?
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

What a Disapointment!!!
                        I thought you had the inside scoop on a new Peavey amp!!
                        Nice R.R. models!!, I'd take any one of them over the 5150 1/2 stack any day!

Comment

Hehe, I also read that high-gain input has that "fizz" in it, I should try the normal gain input sometimes . Yeah, I don't run pre-gain over 3-4, it's enough for me . I'm still turning knobs, looking for the sound. I tried settings that Bill and Patrick Lukens posted in one other thread. Not bad...especially Bill's settings....I'm wondering what pickup he used.

Comment

Congrats on the amp, now you have a really fine setup all the way!
                            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

what, Bill, tired of mentioning the BBE?

Comment

Working...
                              X