Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey JSX for home use and small clubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey JSX for home use and small clubs?

Based on the rave reviews here ,(especially from Bill ) on this amp I'm thinking on getting one on the bay. I've got 2 amps now 1 Splawn for clubs and a line 6 for home which is acting strange. I'm thinking of getting the jsx for small places and for practice at home cause the splawn does not sound the same low. Will the jsx sound as good as people say at home levels ,you know when everyone is sleeping and I'm noodling in the dining room.Or should I just get another modeler?

it does sounds good at low volumes , what I do when I need it to sound good at low volume is turn the return level on the loop way down.
    that way I can turn up the master vol and the channel volumes a bit and still keep it relatively quiet.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Curiosity made me try one out today, for a few minutes. Definitely a very nice amp, I got good sounds from every channel almost instantly. Since I didn't really crank it up I'd say it should work decent for low volume applications.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I really liked The JSX everytime I tried it. Fiirst time in years a new amp put a smile on my face. Plenty of tight , usuable gain on tap..that liked all the Halenisms I could throw at it.

Should make a great partner for your Splawn!

I was encouraged a couple times to turn it up to a pretty good level..I wish I could take it home and crank it with my kid..I may have to adopt it!

Nick owns one,so he's know more than I about it. I heard it's based from a XXX..Joe worked with Peavey and tweaked upon that until it became the JSX.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill you'd like this thing cranked. get the master to 5-6 and the channel
          volumes up past 5 and this thing suddenly sounds much "bigger", and
          "fuller" . (and crank the levels on the loop and turn it on)
          I've been using my hotplate with it just so I can get the volumes up to
          those levels on the amp, and then cutting it back with the Hotplate.

I'm going to try and record something this week so you can get an Idea
          of what I'm getting out of this thing.
          so far so good

Comment

Nick, I'd love to hear your stuff man. Go for it!!!

Oh, how much gain do you use on the ultra. I bet that thing wakes up nicely! I like that kind of gain..thick, tight and smooth, I can tell immediately when I start throwin' VH shit at it..like the "Ain't Talkin' intro, it has to be there or be gone..some amps don't cooperate at all with that stuff..those are the amps I don't like!!!

I like a much beefier version of that tone or in the ballpark..that amp does it!

If an amp's gain is farty..all you're gonna do with the EQ section is dial-in farts..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

On the crunch channel I keep it at about 3:00
              on the ultra I keep it at 12:00 for the VH type of stuff.
              when I use the 7 string I run a clean boost in front on the Ultra
              and I run it at about 2:00. that gets me a real good "Engines of Hate" crunch.
              For the "Arch Enemy" type of stuff I turn off the clean boost and crank the gain up to about 3:00 and turn the mids up to about 2-3:00. that gets pretty close to a "5150-ish" type of tone.
              Any higher than 3:00 compresses the sound too much for my liking. I can see how someone would like it but, I like a more "open" type of sound.
              When I record I'll do some different settings samples so you can hear the difference. it's definitely all "Usable" gain no mud in the amp if you keep an eye on the low res and the bass.

Comment

Similar experience here man! I have the ultra gain at about 1:00 - 1:30 most of the time for just shredding around, but sometimes I want more growl and amputation and up it some more. Brutal death territory, or crystal clear but still great chug, flexible! I use 2:00+ for gain on the crunch channel and smash it with a ts10 for extra response/compression in solos.

Oh and bill nailed it again, couple weeks after getting this amp I nailed the right delay/reverb setting on the v-amp pro (fx only) and played aint talkin' bout love for about 30minutes a day a few days in a row

Comment

Very nice guys!!

That amp is definitely cool!

Comment

Man, this is really getting my GAS going... I've been seriously thinking about picking up this head.

Too bad the local shops don't have one in-stock to try out. But from all the threads I've read on JCF, this amp sounds like my perfect amp.

One question, sorry to highjack this thread, but does this amp need a hot plate to play at low volumes? From what I've seen and read so far, it does not and sounds pretty good at low volume too.

Edit: Woot... 100 posts!!!
                    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Pretty cool JSX clip

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qa65ElHwk...related&search=
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

No it doesn't need a hotplate.
                        The master volume works really well on this amp.
                        I already had a hotplate so I just kind of "automatically" connect thru it anyway.

Comment

That clip rocked defiantely a good amp wasent fussed with the ultra or the mt2ed clip but the clean was awesome crunch very classic rocky and the ultra w/ evh phaser rocked....

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            I kid you not, for a second at around 5.20m I thought I saw Skolnick sitting there! Awesome clip.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The JSX get my "cool amp" approval. I played it on 4 occassions, and found it effortless to get what I like in minutes..

I didn't care too much for the hishy stomp box, but it did sound Metallica-ish..so

That amp has more usable gain than that clip reveals, as good as it is. It does NM's "The River Dragon" tone nicely..with sick pinch harmonics, and open muted chuggin' galore..

Classic VH tone, but with more balls..the more balls the better IMO. This is what the 5150 should've sounded like in 1990. The 5150 don't sound like VH..but metalheads and shredders enjoyed the dark, aggressive girth of 5150s since..and still do. So it all worked out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X