Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey JSX for home use and small clubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, the point of the thread

I can get sweeet tones out of this thing for shreddin' at 2am. Without wakin' the dog even! It scales down really well, and opens up at volume. One of the reasons I had to have it actually!

Comment

that's actaully one of the reasons I wanted it as well. I remember when Pete first got his he
      did some recordings that were at vey low volume and they sounded great.
      these days the majority of my scarce practice time is late at night when
      my wife and daughter are in bed.
      Last edited by kmanick; 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Allright thanks guys I'm gonna pick one up on ebay when I can get 1 for around 800. Probably will put 6l6's in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
          Allright thanks guys I'm gonna pick one up on ebay when I can get 1 for around 800. Probably will put 6l6's in there too.
          Sounds like a plan!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks for refueling my desire to spend $, guys.
            The JSX sounds pretty cool and sounds like it will generally fit P I K A's situation.

Now, in the same generally low volume application, going for the Brown sound and beefier, as described by Bill above - how would the JSX compare to the Splawn Competition (similarly priced to a new JSX) or on the modeling side, a Vox ToneLab LE (Vox has a very good VH sound clip of this posted)?

Comment

I played the JSX and became friends instantly!!

I heard nothing but great things about the Splawn amps by very credible people here that know good tone...namely Pete and Shawn..who own / owned or played them.

I always went for a very authentice Classic Van Halen tone..it's what made me play in the first place. Much like Cleveland John who was on the same page as far back as when we were 15-16 years old.

The JSX can do VH very well, I discovered that almost instantly..but it has plenty 'nuff gain on tap if you want to go into Nevermore territory!

I can't speak for the Splawn..from what I hear it does brown very well ..I figure something like a mix of SLO, JMP, with a splash of VHT..I know I'll like it..

But I'm used to a maxed out Uber..so..I dunno..
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've never played a Splawn but If I get a chance tonight I'll try and record some VH with the JSX.
                I haven't really tried to dial in a VH tone with this thing but it
                shouldn't be too tough to get it "somewhat" close.
                I could even record an A/B against the 5150 so you can hear the difference if you like.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I've got a Splawn pro stock with kt77's and its a great amp at moderate to loud volumes. Its an incredible sounding amp but its not made for low volumes hence my search for the Jsx. The best sounding pup in the Splawn for me was the dimarzio super 3. The jb is ok but the super 3 was excellant. I heard a guy use emg's and that was killer as well but currently I don't have any emg guitars. Anyways I'm hoping the jsx will end my search for a while.

Comment

Dimarzio's sound friggin brilliant in the JSX of course. My Dimebuckers are pounding the stock 12ax7s a bit hard, but even an X2N without a tone knob goes alright with it! Keen to emg up my slsmg (85/89 or 89/89) soon too to try them with it.

My Custom/Fullshred guitar is toneless too and it sounds beautifully sparkly. I have a Super 2 in the neck of the x2n guitar and besides sounding weak as next to it (anything would!) its a brilliant sound. Also my stock Heartfield Talon IV (dimarzios of some sort) is perfectly balanced with it. Like it was designed with mid-output dimarzio's in mind!

Comment

+1 to all of the above. I have the 2X12 combo and love the sounds I can get out of it. Everything from and X2N to a single coil strat sounds great.
                      The Guitars:
                      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                      The Amps:
                      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Working...
                      X