No announcement yet.

Fact: Mesa Boogie is the best:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been very happy with my Mesa 2:90 power amp although I recently got to run through a VHT 2:90:2 and was very impressed with it. The VHT is much tighter than the Mesa and just brutal on the bottom end. The Mesa though has more punch in the midrange and cuts through the mix better.

Comment

I'm getting in a very good zone with my Rect-O-Verb head. I'm a former Mesa hater - the fizzy, undefined sound that I'm doing much better with now.

Comment

Maybe it's in my hands, or the way I dial-in a Uberschall or both. To obtain the tighest, sickest , brutal metal tones I've heard in person....EVER (no stomps)..

I owned a first series Recto and Mesa Boogie Mark III..although decent amps...they're not even in the same ballpark IMO. There is nothing anyone could possibly say to change that !

I been told by a friend (Rippers guitarist) that knows MY exact sound and knows EXACTLY what I like, and advised me the only amps in that class he ever came across are Deizel and Framus...and that's about it. He's the GC guitar mngr here..and stocked to the gills in Peavey, Mesa, VHTs, Krank, Line 6, Randall and ect.

I see the same people that dig Rectos, also like Marshall DSL/TSL and others amps I personally would have NO use for..so, I must take things from the source.

If my Uber suddenly blew up and I had to grab a head to do a gig...in a hurry!

I'd take a Recto over a DSL/TSL anyday, But I would take a 5150 over a Recto anyday, But I would take a JSX over a 5150 anyday..But I would just hope my Uber wouldn't fuggin' blow up!

You guys KNOW what I'm about, heard the style I play, heard the tones I dig..so again..take it from the source.

Like I said, to each their own, but to me...The Uber is the ultimate METAL machine!!! It will kick the dick right off you..you'd rush to the nearest ER with your dick in your shirt pocket..j/k..NOT!

Let it be known..EVERY clip you ever heard me post or ever will post with my Uber. The gain is ALWAYS 100% maxed, anything less will NOT do!!!! That is where my tone is, no stomps to "tighten" anything up..and completely "flub" free!!!

Some of the JCF ampfolk I take merit in only because we seem to be on the same page as far as tone..even though some are not balls-out death/ thrash metal ass clowns like myself ..but still VERY much rooted in the tone school of classic VH..are Clevo John, Pete, Shawn, Nick, Buzz and a few others..you know who you are.

Not to discredit some very knowlegable amps guys such as JGCable, Siggy and others..but I simply don't play Blues, Jazz, Cassic Rock, Rock, Emo, Nu, or alternative anything and ect..just balls out Metal/Shred ..and that's all I do or need!

Bill Z Bub
        Last edited by horns666; 07-27-2007, 04:33 AM. Reason: typos...fuggums.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OK, let me be .."honest".

The only way I dial up any amp is over a drummer for reasons Endrik mentioned above. Whatever you dial up on your own will change as soon as you throw any other freqs at it whatsoever ..from bass, kick drums, to cymbals..ect. What I never liked about the Recto and amps such as DSL/TSL is they sound nothing like VH whatsoever because the gain is much too abrasive, which I call "Buzz". A huge part of the "brown" sound is that the gain is indeed warm and smooth. The Uber's gain is far less abrasive than a Recto, with MUCH more "usable" gain. The only similiarity between a Uber and a Recto I can see is the frequency range. But the gain structure and overall feel are night and day...for the obvious stated.

I've had my Uber for about 5 years and bought one of the first Rectos in Ohio, and played MANY since in the last 16 years. The recto has a lot of tweakablity, but all I found myself doing is tweaking abrasive "Buzz" for an hour+ a day for over a year..I can make the buzz bassier..or scooped..or brighter..well, you get the idea, I called it "bees in a box". Eventually trading it off for a new Soldano HR100 . Ironically I preferred Marshalls with far less gain especially the 2203s, then 2210s..then bought another 5150..always VH!

My tatse in amps evolved to ballsier versions of VH..which covers amps such as VHTs, JSX and 5150, Splawns, Bogner and the ballsiest Bogner of them all..The Uberschall..anyone "in the know" can throw VH at any of these heads and it'll throw it right back all day...NOT the case with Rectos and TSL/DSL and ect..much too abrasive. I'm much too finicky to rely on a 50 dollar stomp for my actual "tone"..delays, phaser, flanging are exceptions. But to spend approx 1300 bucks on a new Mesa or Marshall ect.. just to rely on a fuzz box is just a generic and "cheap" way out IMO. That tells me some people just can't dial in a high gain amp. Using a Tube Screamer in front of your plexi or early 800 is one thing. To use it in front of a 5150 or Recto is just a lazy shortcut. I always hear "well, I like the way it rolls off the highs , tightens up the lows and compresses the tone"..You can do ALL that by actually dialing in your amp, finding all the G spots if you actually put your time in or truly care ..nope, no need for that..just STOMP...fiiizzzzzzzzzz hisssssssss ..It's perfect!!!

Your thoughts..

Bill Z Bub
          Last edited by horns666; 07-27-2007, 06:21 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
            Dude... I agree with you, VHT is badass-tically fucken tight. But, in defence of mesa...

into

into

with

in the loop

is 100% sploogetastic

-Nate
            *** :-) Seems that Spooogetastic would be way better than
            Badastically/tighttastic ! Rock on!

Comment

I like VHT!

Still waiting for Rudy..who's got a Uber and Recto. I know you prefer the Uber in your band..but tell me excatly why!

I know why I do..but I want to hear it from you.

Bill Z Bub

Comment

Spoogetastic is a good word.

Unless your talkin' about a Splawn, then Sploogetastic would apply..

Uberiffic..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Spoogetastic is a good word.

Unless your talkin' about a Splawn, then Sploogetastic would apply..

Uberiffic..
                  lol
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I like my Randall MTS... since owning it colors are brighter, sounds are louder, women want to be with me and guys want to be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                      I like my Randall MTS... since owning it colors are brighter, sounds are louder, women want to be with me and guys want to be me.
                      YES, I know Pete. Ever since I had my Uber..women are into me and guys want to be in me.

So, you really dig that Randall eh..I must try one next time I see one. Pete will I like it as is with whatever "modules" come with it..The clips you posted sounded pretty good!

Bill Z Brownaholic..

Comment

YES, I know Pete. Ever since I had my Uber..women are into me and guys want to be in me.

So, you really dig that Randall eh..I must try one next time I see one. Pete will I like it as is with whatever "modules" come with it..The clips you posted sounded pretty good!

Bill Z Brownaholic..
                        I think when I mod the modules it makes a huge difference, but I am a little prejudiced. It's a great jack of all trades amp - you can pick and choose each of your channels, but an amp with one really badass channel might eclipse it if that's all you use. You just use the drive channel on your amp, so I'm not sure it would dethrone the Uber for you. However, if you needed three great sounding tones in one head, then the RM100 would bear some investigation.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                          I think when I mod the modules it makes a huge difference, but I am a little prejudiced. It's a great jack of all trades amp - you can pick and choose each of your channels, but an amp with one really badass channel might eclipse it if that's all you use. You just use the drive channel on your amp, so I'm not sure it would dethrone the Uber for you. However, if you needed three great sounding tones in one head, then the RM100 would bear some investigation.

Pete
                          Gotcha Pete, yes, I will investigate the RM100..even for John, who maybe lookin' to get into somethin' else later down the road..

Thanx man,

Bill Z

Comment

Gotcha Pete, yes, I will investigate the RM100..even for John, who maybe lookin' to get into somethin' else later down the road..

Thanx man,

Bill Z
                            Ya know, if John ever got one, I could do him a faceplate with flies on it.

Comment

Nooooo.....

Comment

I like VHT!

Still waiting for Rudy..who's got a Uber and Recto. I know you prefer the Uber in your band..but tell me excatly why!

I know why I do..but I want to hear it from you.

Bill Z Bub
                                Hey Bill; how's it going? I have both but easily prefer the Uber, and keep in mind I'm no Recto basher. First, I don't know if others run into this issue or not but although I get good tone out of my Dual Recto it takes a lot of tweaking to get it. i.e. I have to work too damn hard at it The Uber is much easier to deal with and in minutes knobs are turned and disgustingly beautiful sounds emminate from it. Second, Many people just have to have 3 channels but I find myself really only using two, clean and distorted, so the Uber has that. Next, the Uber's loop has been able to take just about anything I throw at it and on stage is pretty quiet. And the main reason is of course the killer distortion channel. Even though I don't run the gain all the up to max and I'm not in a Death Metal band, I do find my self edging that gain knob up slightly more all the time yet it still sounds very 80's hard rock appropriate which is the material my band does. It also helps that people who aren't even musicians or guitar players comment on how good the guitar tone is live. I turn the gain up but the amp doesn't get all muddy and lost. Other amps you turn the gain up on and what sounded good to you playing alone all of a sudden gets lost in the mix. The Uber's clean channel actually sounds good too although you don't normally hear people mention it much because the high gain channel gets all the glory but I do use the clean. I was in Washington DC over a year ago and visited a store there after calling them to see if they had Bogners in stock. I wanted to play one myself. They also carried Jacksons by the way, so within 1 minute of plugging in I knew it was the amp for me
                                By the way, I also have a Randall RM100 and I like that amp as well. But to me the Uber slays them all!

Rudy
                                www.wickedrocks.com
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X