Blue Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Voodoo

Any body here have a positive experience with a CRATE BLUE VOODOO BV120h prior to china taking over? (BLue tortex)

My singer owned one...and he thought it was great, but I couldn't stand the grating Crate sound.

Comment

I've got the blue tolex version of the BV60 head. It sounds great!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you're saying the non-blue tolex versions are made in China, I'm afraid you're misinformed my friend. I have a 2nd gen BV120, and it is made in St Louis, Missouri, USA.

Oh yeah, and I think it sounds great. There are better amps, but it's probably the best deal out there if you're looking to get something made in the US.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Ever since LTEC (LOUD Technologies) bought out SLM in 2005, primary production of certain products has been "relocated" to more "cost efficient" locations.
          They also own Mackie and Alvarez. We all know where that crap is made.
          Do the math.

Just make sure you check where the amp was made before you buy it.
          The USA Crate amps are killer.
          I have yet to see a Chinese built Crate except for the MF exclusive RFX units.
          -Rick

Comment

A BBE works very well in the loop..it wakes it up quick nicely!!.

I tried that unit with every amp I can..A amp will let you know instanly if it likes it or not..the Crate BV 120 does.

Give it a shot..I think you'll be glad you did.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had the Red Rocker version for a few years, I liked it!

Comment

What is a BBE i've neen trying to figure out how to hook up my effects from the effects loop. Not sure exactly how to use this amp to its fullest potential

Comment

BBE = Sonic Maximizer

It's sort of a glorified "loudness" box. Some people may be able to explain it a little better, but it allows you to really fine tune your bottom end and high end. It's kinda like having an active resonance and presence control all in one.

The loop is very simple. What effects are you using? Some of them work better in front of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    A BBE works very well in the loop..it wakes it up quick nicely!!.

I tried that unit with every amp I can..A amp will let you know instanly if it likes it or not..the Crate BV 120 does.

Give it a shot..I think you'll be glad you did.
                    I'll have to pick up a BBE eventually and see. Always wanted to try one out. I do have a pair of Groove Tubes KT66HP (the discontinued Russian tubes instead of the newer Chinese ones they stick with now) in it instead of the 6L6GC. Sounds damn good to me, but I don't really play all that loud in my basement (I'm in a townhouse and don't want to piss off my neighbors too much).
                    I'm sure the amp will open up more and be better if I were to crank it, but the BBE would even liven it up some more for lower volume playing, no?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I'll have to pick up a BBE eventually and see. Always wanted to try one out. I do have a pair of Groove Tubes KT66HP (the discontinued Russian tubes instead of the newer Chinese ones they stick with now) in it instead of the 6L6GC. Sounds damn good to me, but I don't really play all that loud in my basement (I'm in a townhouse and don't want to piss off my neighbors too much).
                      I'm sure the amp will open up more and be better if I were to crank it, but the BBE would even liven it up some more for lower volume playing, no?
                      Most definitely Joe!!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a the 120 and it sounds good. ill def. look into the BBE. In my head I have mesa boogie tubes, It gives it a little more bottom to it. I've been wanting to get all 6l6's but it is currently set up lik this : 12ax | 6l6 | 6l6 | 12ax. am i able to put all 6l6? and will I get a bigger bass boost?

Comment

Originally posted by ossmetallica View Post
                          I have a the 120 and it sounds good. ill def. look into the BBE. In my head I have mesa boogie tubes, It gives it a little more bottom to it. I've been wanting to get all 6l6's but it is currently set up lik this : 12ax | 6l6 | 6l6 | 12ax. am i able to put all 6l6? and will I get a bigger bass boost?
                          That doesn't make any sense. A BV120 should have 4 6L6 power tubes, and 4 12AX7 preamp tubes. They are not interchangeable.

Comment

The thing about the BV is it can be modded to sound 100% better for a reasonable amount of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                              The thing about the BV is it can be modded to sound 100% better for a reasonable amount of cash.
                              This is true. Trace at Voodoo Amps and Jerry at FJA Mods (both are actually board members here) do cool mods for them.
                              http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods.html

http://www.fjamods.com/AmpMods.html

Comment

Working...
                              X