My KV-2 produces a lot of feedback..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My KV-2 produces a lot of feedback..

I don't know why but when i play at moderate volumes on my Marshall VS-65R combo (about 1/4 volume) the guitar produces a lot of feedback when not playing or touching any strings.
    I recently detuned my guitar to B, and adjusted the bridge pickup height.
    I read somewhere (or was i dreaming?) that humbuckers need to be aligned properly so they cancel each other out, to reduce feedback.
    Is this true, and how do i check if they are aligned correctly?
    What else might affect feedback? I don't think the stock SD's are as bad as some cheap pickups that tend to produce feedback even before you turn on the amp . Could it be the amp? I noticed i have less feedback on my Marshall 8100 head & cab even when i'm right in front of it at high volume.

Any advice would be appreciated.

They could be turning microphonic, is there still plenty of wax/oil around the pups?

It could also be your amp, yes. A tube gone bad or anything, my Quad was going mad with feedback at one time on Ld2, changed some tubes and it sings again. It sounds more like the pups are the cause in your case though.
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 07-19-2007, 02:26 PM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
      They could be turning microphonic, is there still plenty of wax/oil around the pups?
      I have no idea. Is there wax & oil around pickups?
      I've had the guitar for about 3 months now, do they dry up that fast?

Comment

Wow, that's pretty fast....

The wax is usually used to keep the coils tight and to stop them vibrating in passive pickups. When they get looser and the wires start vibrating, you basically get them acting like a microphone (picking up acoustic signals through vibration), which is a big nono.

Comment

Ok and how do i check this? And what kind of wax/oil is used for this?

Thanks

Comment

Normally you should see some 'goo' around the pups, by just looking closely at them while they're still mounted, if not you could try unscrewing them and pulling them out a bit, in that case you can often even feel it.

The guy in my local shop uses bee wax (bijenwas), but I've even heard of people using just candle wax with good results.

Comment

Well there is a bit of grease around them, but i can't judge if its enough or not. The strap around it seems to be a bit loose at some points though. And i also noticed some screws around the pickups have started to rust

Comment

lower you pick-ups buddy. they are too high. that and if you are playing directly in front of your amp, move. and it could be you are trying to play with to much gain.
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

And if that doesnt help, get yourself a hush pedal and crank up the threshold to taste.

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                  X