Comparing Distortion Pedals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Distortion Pedals...

How does the MXR Distortion+ sound compared to an Ibanez TS-9?

Thanks, I've been looking for something to give me what the TS-9 'lacks'.
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

i like the boss sd-1
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

From a quick google search, the MXR is what Randy used on his Ozzy stuff. Haven't used either of them though, so I can't really give an opinion.
      Scott

Comment

The TS9 is an overdrive, which is meant to be used with an already distorted amp to push it into higher gain. A distortion pedal is meant to be used with a clean amp.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

overdrive is also meant to be used with a clean amp if you want a bluesy overdriven tone... ala SRV

distortion can be used as a booster like overdrive... Lynch, Vai, Satch etc. all have used DS-1 as booster.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I use a hot rodded DS 1 and a hotrodded os2 on the OD side. The ts9s Ive modded all sounded great too.

Comment

I owned the D+ for awhile and traded it. Its heavier then the TS9 and a bit harsher. The TS9 is smoother and has more control over your tone. I prefer the TS9 personally as I think it sounds better in general.

Comment

It all depends on the amp the pedal is in front of and how you are using it.

Comment

You may want to check this sucker out : http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_jh.htm
                  I had one thru a Fender PJ. I had a TS-9, but into a SS Peavy, so cant comment. Listen to some MP3's of them in action.
                  Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Three things missing here:
                    1)tone you are looking for
                    2) amp you are running into
                    3) what you are willing to spend.

money says you should buy a VAMP2 or POD and run it into the power section of whatever it is.

On the off chance it's a tube amp and you want more hair on it. Try a ProCo RAT or MetalZone.

A DS-1 may work for you, but for me, it hasn't for some reason.

D+ is pretty buzzy - like was stated, Rhoads used it and I don't think his tone was great, but it sure as hell made that band!
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                    X