Marshall 9200 vs. EL34 100/100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 9200 vs. EL34 100/100

What are the differences between this two rack amps?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

9200 first series came w 5881's (6L6) and ran for the first year made in '96 (Mine)..Several friends bought them with EL34s right after I did , including Clevo John..not even close in tone, high or low end. I don't like the EL34 version at all..especially at higher volume levels.

I highly recommend the 9200 w/ 5881's..especially when ran with the JMP-1. Marshalls in general aren't known for their low end..so every bit counts IMO.

I run mine with four 1960 B Straight cabs loaded with 75 wt celestion and BBE 422 ..which assists me getting the chunkiest Marshall tone I possibly can.

Another freind of mine ran his JMP-1 with a Peavey 120/120 w 6L6..which sounded pretty damn good..especially for classic VH.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

So they are the same but the 9200 comes with 6L6s and the other one with EL34s?
      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

feature/appearance wise, yes. Tonally, no...

Comment

Personally, I prefer the tone of the EL34 version. The only thing I like 5881's for is target practice. I don't play any death metal though so that may be why I prefer the EL34's.

Comment

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
            Personally, I prefer the tone of the EL34 version. The only thing I like 5881's for is target practice. I don't play any death metal though so that may be why I prefer the EL34's.
            I assume you didn't hear my VH trib demo sound clips of the JMP-1 w/5881s..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You could "convert" one to the other. Bascially the SAME power amp with different tubes (as already said) and bias resitors. The EL34 version has a taller profile to account for the taller EL34 tubes. Otherise they are exactly the same, tansformers and all.

9200 seem to sell quite a bit cheaper. The things (all) are work horses and totally underrated! I've used both versions extensively in the past.

You might consider picking up a 9100 or 50/50 as well..they have plenty of power and there are preamp tubes to that kick in when the gain is cranked.

The power amp has individual bias circuits and pots for each "side". You can install and bias seprate tubes in each. My primary rig for a few years was a 9100 with 6L6's on the right and EL 34's on the left. Add a JMP-1, a rocktron Hush and a good effects unit and you have a 101% professional rig that can do any band & any song.

Comment

Working...
              X