Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hows does the ADA MP-1 stand next to newer stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hows does the ADA MP-1 stand next to newer stuff?

Hows does the ADA MP-1 stand next to newer stuff? Is it ass good as newer stuff? and what can you match it up next to so you can get a great MP-1 and effects combo?

A good and cheap MP-1 is a now brainer next to a more expensive new unit that does the same?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

get the mp1 an old black face rocktron intellifex and a good power amp - mesa maybe? run it in stereo and you'll have a great sounding system for a lot less than the high dollar stuff - neddi
    www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

It really depends on what type of sound you are going for. It does 80s metal and thrash sounds very well. It's a great value for the price. You have to pair it with a good power amp and effects unit though. I have a VHT 2/90/2 power amp and Rocktron Xpression effects unit and can get sounds anywhere from Testament to Van Halen with my rig. Can't go wrong with an MP-1. There are a few mods out there that can be done to them to change their sound. www.adadepot.com has a lot of good info.

Comment

I got my MP-1 modded to the hills... almost redid the entire pcboard on it. But, for the price of a MP-1, and the $100 of electronics I put into it (still need a new transformer, but all the circuitry is super high grade) makes it wellll worth the price. As jk2171 said, it's super flexible when dealing with 80's rock/metal. The only problem I have, is with all the high voltage circuits, I have too much gain... usually leave OD1 at 3, and OD2 at no-more then 7.5. Otherwise the noisegate is just blown wide open from the oversaturation.

Comment

I feel like I've posted this a dozen times...here it goes again.

I have owned and/or used almost every preamp out there (including JMP1, Triaxis, Bogner Fish, Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant, Groove Tubes Trio, + many more). At the end of the day, I always end up going back to my MP-1 (completely stock, first year of issue unit). The key is to use it in conjunction with a BBE unit and a good tube power amp like a VHT or Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
            The key is to use it in conjunction with a BBE unit???
            What´s that?

As far the sound, I play 70´1 and 80´s rock/metal/southern/prog you name it....
            '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
            '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
            custom made Les Paul
            VOX Tonelab LE
            Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
            ADA MP1
            BBE 422A
            Lexicon MPX-G2
            ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
            Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
              What´s that?

As far the sound, I play 70´1 and 80´s rock/metal/southern/prog you name it....

It's also explained in this thread:

Basically, for me is that it "maximizes" the sound Really, it expands the sound definition and creates a great bass, mid, treble balance. It really gives a nice bottom to your sound.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Plugging your MP-1 output into your amps effects return is actually what the manual suggests you do. It helps with the noise, which we all know the MP-1 had plenty of You should definitely use a BBE with your ADA MP-1. My first MP-1, I used with a BBE thru a Marshall Jubilee Head. I wish I still had that setup. Once the MP-2 came out It took me a couple of weeks to learn that system and that became my main rig. I was using my MP-2--> BBE 462--> ADA microtube 200 -->mesa cabs.
                www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

I haven't found a rig yet that suits me better than my MP-1 into a VHT 2150 with a BBE in between.

Comment

Working...
                  X