Carvin legacy4x12 vs selfmade 1x12.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin legacy4x12 vs selfmade 1x12.

I use carvin legacy 4x12(16 ohm) cab with celestion vintage 30 and head for that cab is triple rectifier. After buying quality tubes (eurotubes 6l6) i have been pretty staisfied with my sound but i wasnt being quite honest with myself i allways felt like something is still missing.

So today i got my hands on selfmade cab 1x12 one vintage 30 (8 ohm) . And the head i used was Mesa/Boogie Coliseum 300 and i was blown away how tight and powerful soundig it was when i was looking for that metal sound with balls.

So i though myself what would haveppen if i used my cab instead of that 1x12 , so i connected coliesum head to my legacy 4x12 cab and guess what half of that good soud was gone:O:S Not as tight not that bottom end.

( also i had heard that legacy is not a cab for metal , it is good for rock,,, but all kinds of stories are told , so i did'nt take it too seriously).

So what i did next , i took my triple rec( but the wire to 8 ohm ) and used that same little 1x12 cab(8 ohm ) cab. I used 3 channel modern( gain at 2 o'clock) and tube screamer 9 drive turned to 0.
    I just could'nt believe what i heard, i fucking peed my pants, this is sound was just sick so powerful tight( this is what i had missed with my 4x12 cab) and lots of bottom end.Finnaly this was the racifier soud i wanted to hear when i bought that amp at the first palce. The sound was so good that i jsut got scared and turn the amp off.

Anyway i think i am going to sell my legacy cab, and order mesa boogies 2x12 or 4x12.

Any suggestions , or has anyone of you had similar kind of experiences with cabinets.

OLiver

Also i paid over 1300 us dollars for my legacy and that dude got his cab with like 3 hunderd dollars.

Comment

If you like bottom end try your Mesa with a G-Flex 2x12. I had a dual rec, Carvin 4x12 and G-Flex 2x12. The G-Flex blew the Carvin away.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
        If you like bottom end try your Mesa with a G-Flex 2x12. I had a dual rec, Carvin 4x12 and G-Flex 2x12. The G-Flex blew the Carvin away.
        Wise advise here.... I use a Oversized Recto 4x12 and a Gflex ported 2x12 with a Mesa Roadster. The thing has got some serious bottom end.

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Nice..I had a similair experience, but not with guitar. Once I bought these home made 1-15" ported TL Bass cabs that wern't covered with tolex , just wood. I got them super cheap ..like 50 bucks for the pair. I loaded them with EV Prolines a friend had and they kicked the shit out of my new (at the time) expensive Hartke XL cabs..there was no comparison. So I quickly sold the Hartke cabs to that same friend and ordered some corner gaurds, black leather and speaker grills..I kept those forever and they handled my GK 800 RB even better than the Hartkes !

It's a rare thing, but it's so cool when shit like that happends.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X