JVM or JSX head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pott View Post
    Wait... you've been using a head without anything plugged into its speaker out..? It seems to work so you must have done something with it? Or else it'd have blown the output transformer.
    Of course it's in standby, only the preamp's getting any signal. The FX loop is set to serial so there is nothing going into the power amp. I took a look at the schematics and it's ok to do this with this amp, in standby the power amp is not driving anything.
    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

After I heard Ed doing the "Ain't Talkin' Intro with the 5150III..I'd prolly waite to test drive that.

It's much closer to his classic Marshall tone than the Peavey..it seems.

Chope..that's nice!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        After I heard Ed doing the "Ain't Talkin' Intro with the 5150III..I'd prolly waite to test drive that.

It's much closer to his classic Marshall tone than the Peavey..it seems.

Chope..that's nice!
        Yeah, after hearing a few clips, I could easily go for the 5150III. But I could only find one online shop in Europe that even listed the heads... and they didn't have any available yet. Not even a guess as to when they would get them either. Guess they are selling pretty well in the states, which makes em hard as hell to get over here.

Thanks, I'm really digging my Pball... can't wait for the cab to show up! I'll reserve further comment until then. Good friend of mine just picked up his Dual Recto today, and we're planning to have an amp shoot-out soon. Should be interesting...
        My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
          Yeah, after hearing a few clips, I could easily go for the 5150III. But I could only find one online shop in Europe that even listed the heads... and they didn't have any available yet. Not even a guess as to when they would get them either. Guess they are selling pretty well in the states, which makes em hard as hell to get over here.

Thanks, I'm really digging my Pball... can't wait for the cab to show up! I'll reserve further comment until then. Good friend of mine just picked up his Dual Recto today, and we're planning to have an amp shoot-out soon. Should be interesting...
          Cool..let us know about the Recto/Pball shootout..be cool if both use the same cab/speaker set up.. That guy I know toured with his Pball , and wanted to go Bogner..but went with 6505s..he's in Ringworm now.

"Ringworm"..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Of course it's in standby, only the preamp's getting any signal. The FX loop is set to serial so there is nothing going into the power amp. I took a look at the schematics and it's ok to do this with this amp, in standby the power amp is not driving anything.
            Cool, never heard about this. In most amps the standby switch switches the b+ voltage. So if the amp is in standby even the preamp tubes don't get their anode voltage.
            Could you share a link for the schematics ? Would be interesting to look at it. Must be something like switching the b+ voltage to the center tap of the output transformer as i guess the amp is a push-pull design.

Flo
            http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
              Cool, never heard about this. In most amps the standby switch switches the b+ voltage. So if the amp is in standby even the preamp tubes don't get their anode voltage.
              Could you share a link for the schematics ? Would be interesting to look at it. Must be something like switching the b+ voltage to the center tap of the output transformer as i guess the amp is a push-pull design.

Flo
              ENGL USA site has the schematic: http://houseofenglamps.com/products.asp?sku=E645_V2

The power amp ground is lifted in standby. Also, JVM head has possibility of running the preamps in standby. You can use the line out in standby.

Comment

Cool, thank you very much. Interesting to see. You don't happen to know if those schematics are correct ? I have heard quite often that Engl is distributing schematics with errors.

Flo

Comment

Cool, thank you very much. Interesting to see. You don't happen to know if those schematics are correct ? I have heard quite often that Engl is distributing schematics with errors.

Flo
                  I have no idea how correct they are. I'm sure there are things like intentionally incorrect component values, etc, in the diagrams. I work in a company that does a lot of engineering and design work, and I know that we would not put up our schematics for free on the net for anyone to download. I suppose there should be correct schematics in ENGL service manuals, if they exist, or somehow made available to amp service shops.

Comment

I played an Engl SE (EL34 version) this past weekend at the Boston guitar Show and feel secure you made the right choice.
                    I didn't play thru the Powerball, but the SE sounded great.
                    It sounded huge, and the number of different tones was mind staggering (need a Manual)
                    For $3,500.00 it better stomp all over just about everything.
                    I like my JSX but If I hit the Lottery I will have one of these come my way (and a Mesa mark IV, I'm really liking these lately)
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                      I played an Engl SE (EL34 version) this past weekend at the Boston guitar Show and feel secure you made the right choice.
                      I didn't play thru the Powerball, but the SE sounded great.
                      It sounded huge, and the number of different tones was mind staggering (need a Manual)
                      For $3,500.00 it better stomp all over just about everything.
                      I like my JSX but If I hit the Lottery I will have one of these come my way (and a Mesa mark IV, I'm really liking these lately)
                      Agree totally. The SE is pretty amazing. It was just too much of a step up in price... 2x the cost of a Powerball. But I'm really liking my Powerball so far. I think the ENGL's would be more common in the US if they were priced like they are here in Europe. Of course we have the reverse problem, all US amps like Peavey and Mesa are overpriced here, imho. It's especially noticeable when I browse the prices on MF. You have cheaper guitars too.

Comment

Agree totally. The SE is pretty amazing. It was just too much of a step up in price... 2x the cost of a Powerball. But I'm really liking my Powerball so far. I think the ENGL's would be more common in the US if they were priced like they are here in Europe. Of course we have the reverse problem, all US amps like Peavey and Mesa are overpriced here, imho. It's especially noticeable when I browse the prices on MF. You have cheaper guitars too.
                        +1

There is a store near me which sells Bogner amps. I just looked and a XTC is 3950 Euros, that's over $5500. That's the same when americans complain that Diezel is so expensive and not worth the $4k they cost in america.

Flo

Comment

The EU charges substantial import taxes on items not made in the EU, that's why. I imagine the US does the same but perhaps at not as high a rate, thus higher prices here for European-made gear. It's a shame for us, but the governments know if we really weant it, we'll pay...
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

+1

There is a store near me which sells Bogner amps. I just looked and a XTC is 3950 Euros, that's over $5500. That's the same when americans complain that Diezel is so expensive and not worth the $4k they cost in america.

Flo
                            So true... I paid 1499€ for my Powerball (including our wonderful 22% VAT) and over in the states they go for about $2k w/o tax. Depends how to do the math, but anyway there is a difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X