Splawn Rocks \m/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Rocks \m/

Friday I drove out to Splawn's shop just outside of Charlotte, NC. I was going out there to check out a Quickrod to replace my Splawn modded Marshall 1987X. I wanted effects loop, channel switching, etc.

When I got to the shop Scott was in the midst of mounting transformers and such to the chassis of a new amp and one of his guys was putting together a wiring assembly of pots.

Scott very graciously took the time to demo a Quickrod that was on his bench. He walked me through all the differences between the Quickrod and the Marshall he modded. The drive "gears" are awesome. And the newly voiced clean channels is a really cool hybrid of a Fender and Marshall clean tone. The Quickrod really sounds fantastic. It has great touch response. It's really impressive how even the dirtiest setting cleans up really well by backing off the guitar volume.

I was sold and told Scott I'd take one. But did he ring me up right then? Nope. Instead he took me around on a tour of the facility. Very cool! He showed me the amp chassis's and explained how he was getting them built from a local shop that was recommended to him from a customer. The PCBs are made locally. The logos are made locally. Nice!

Next we went over to where they build their own head and speaker cabinets. Yes, "where they build their own"! Brian #1 does all the wood working and showed me some cool in progress stuff - these cabinets are *extremely* well built - 13-ply baltic birch, killer joints, etc. They have a really sweet setup for this with a CNC machine to do all the cutouts. I am looking forward to what other things may come out of a CNC machine in the hands of a guy like Scott who is totally into hot rodded guitars and amps

Then we went over to see Brian #2 doing the tolex and finishing on the cabinets. He's *really* good at this. The tolex looks painted on. Even on a white cabinet you could barely see any seams. All the hardware is top notch. The overall fit and finish on these is simply fantastic.

So then it's off to front counter to order my amp. This is a much more involved process than I'm used to. You get to choose your tolex, the style and color of piping you want, what sort of head cabinet you want, what color control panel you want, what style knobs you want, and depending on which cabinet you choose you get to choose the type of front panel you want including custom graphics! How cool is that!?!?!?!?

This is an impressive operation. They are growing nicely - the shop looks a LOT different than it did a few years ago when I had my Marshall modded. Given how so many companies operating it was truly refreshing to see a company making amps like this. As much as possible is made on site or from a local business. This really enables them to build custom stuff without it being a custom process or the associated custom wait times.

The drive was about 3 hours each way and well worth every minute. I can hardly wait until my Quickrod is finished!
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

I saw his shop back in 2004, pretty kickass. Has he gotten into building combos at all, or still just heads and cabinets?

Comment

I didn't ask about that because I prefer separate heads and cabinets. I saw on the Splawn forum that someone posted that they had ordered a combo so I would presume he's starting to offer them.

- Newc

Comment

Thats cool story Tim. Scott is a hulluva nice guy too. I have the older QR w/shared EQ and no gears and it kicks ass. Mine was in a black case and I orderd a replacement one in white and its an extremely well built head case as well, same goes for the Splawn 4x12 (guv'nor/manowar mix)...quality builds.

I think its cool to have all those options avail for you when you order, you really have the freedom to make it unique to you. I also think the Splawn stuff is an excellent buy for the money.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Tim that was a nice report, like we we there. That put me in mind of Dr Z (Mike's) shop. I played every amp in that place. Awesome guy as well, very meticualous. We would jam on their down time.They loved playing blues..so I played bass. Unless he broke out a tube screamer, he always one ready. His demo guiatrs was a stock Black LP custom and a stock American sunburst Strat..Joe Walsh was there once...he played the LP.

Splawn sounds like awesome amps..I'd love to try one. The pic of the white one looks awesome..IMO.

Bill Z
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You guys know if Splawn does trade-ins for used equip? I'd love to get one of his QR's, but would have to give up my DSL100 (I haven't got an email response from him on that).
            Last edited by Axewielder; 08-04-2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              Thats cool story Tim. Scott is a hulluva nice guy too. I have the older QR w/shared EQ and no gears and it kicks ass. Mine was in a black case and I orderd a replacement one in white and its an extremely well built head case as well, same goes for the Splawn 4x12 (guv'nor/manowar mix)...quality builds.

I think its cool to have all those options avail for you when you order, you really have the freedom to make it unique to you. I also think the Splawn stuff is an excellent buy for the money.
              The newest QR has one particularly appealing feature - you can switch the gears via a standard latching switch. The 3-button switch that comes with it doesn't control it - it still does clean/dirty, od1/od2, and boost. So you need a separate latching switch - no big deal. This enables you to switch between gears 1&2 if the gear switch is on 1 or between 2&3 if the gear switch is on 3. I think that will cover what I want very nicely.

- Newc

Comment

Great report Tim. Scott is a great guy. I have had past dealings with him on orders over the phone. Thanks for the details!
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Tim that was a nice report, like we we there. That put me in mind of Dr Z (Mike's) shop. I played every amp in that place. Awesome guy as well, very meticualous. We would jam on their down time.They loved playing blues..so I played bass. Unless he broke out a tube screamer, he always one ready. His demo guiatrs was a stock Black LP custom and a stock American sunburst Strat..Joe Walsh was there once...he played the LP.

Splawn sounds like awesome amps..I'd love to try one. The pic of the white one looks awesome..IMO.

Bill Z
                  Knowing how you always look for the EVH tone in an amp I think you'd really dig the Splawn. It most definitely goes there. The Marshall he modded for me sounds crazy good. There is no way I would have sold that if there wasn't another Splawn coming home.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                    Friday I drove out to Splawn's shop just outside of Charlotte, NC. I was going out there to check out a Quickrod to replace my Splawn modded Marshall 1987X. I wanted effects loop, channel switching, etc.

When I got to the shop Scott was in the midst of mounting transformers and such to the chassis of a new amp and one of his guys was putting together a wiring assembly of pots.

Scott very graciously took the time to demo a Quickrod that was on his bench. He walked me through all the differences between the Quickrod and the Marshall he modded. The drive "gears" are awesome. And the newly voiced clean channels is a really cool hybrid of a Fender and Marshall clean tone. The Quickrod really sounds fantastic. It has great touch response. It's really impressive how even the dirtiest setting cleans up really well by backing off the guitar volume.

I was sold and told Scott I'd take one. But did he ring me up right then? Nope. Instead he took me around on a tour of the facility. Very cool! He showed me the amp chassis's and explained how he was getting them built from a local shop that was recommended to him from a customer. The PCBs are made locally. The logos are made locally. Nice!

Next we went over to where they build their own head and speaker cabinets. Yes, "where they build their own"! Brian #1 does all the wood working and showed me some cool in progress stuff - these cabinets are *extremely* well built - 13-ply baltic birch, killer joints, etc. They have a really sweet setup for this with a CNC machine to do all the cutouts. I am looking forward to what other things may come out of a CNC machine in the hands of a guy like Scott who is totally into hot rodded guitars and amps

Then we went over to see Brian #2 doing the tolex and finishing on the cabinets. He's *really* good at this. The tolex looks painted on. Even on a white cabinet you could barely see any seams. All the hardware is top notch. The overall fit and finish on these is simply fantastic.

So then it's off to front counter to order my amp. This is a much more involved process than I'm used to. You get to choose your tolex, the style and color of piping you want, what sort of head cabinet you want, what color control panel you want, what style knobs you want, and depending on which cabinet you choose you get to choose the type of front panel you want including custom graphics! How cool is that!?!?!?!?

This is an impressive operation. They are growing nicely - the shop looks a LOT different than it did a few years ago when I had my Marshall modded. Given how so many companies operating it was truly refreshing to see a company making amps like this. As much as possible is made on site or from a local business. This really enables them to build custom stuff without it being a custom process or the associated custom wait times.

The drive was about 3 hours each way and well worth every minute. I can hardly wait until my Quickrod is finished!
                    pics from the tour or it didnt happen....

Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      Knowing how you always look for the EVH tone in an amp I think you'd really dig the Splawn. It most definitely goes there. The Marshall he modded for me sounds crazy good. There is no way I would have sold that if there wasn't another Splawn coming home.
                      Tim, I will take your word ..you know what I like!

BTW..thanks.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
                        pics from the tour or it didnt happen....

:ROTF:+1
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I recently sold my Quick Rod, it was the last version before the new clean channel. I'll be getting another one in the next 6-10 months though, it's a great amp. I didn't know that about the footswitchable gears. That's going to be something I'll have to have on mine when I get it.

Comment

I played my friend's Quickrod before he sold it. It was a 3 gear model but, before he changed the clean to a useable clean like I hear he has now. Before the JVM came along I wouldn't have thought twice over getting the Splawn over ANY Marshall. Now the JVM would make me think just because of the versatility not really because of a tonal advantage ('cause there probably isn't one). Anyways, I have no problems with the build quality of Splawn cabs but, IMHO (and that of half of my friends), his stock X-pattern Eminence speaker choice BLOW HUGE CHUNKS. If you're getting one of their cabs, I suggest getting speakers you're used to liking instead of the standard offering.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Thanks Tim, pretty cool report.
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                              X