No announcement yet.

Mesa Express 5:50 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the review. I have been thinking about getting one of these just to have something more portable than a half stack.

Comment

Tried 5:25. Was surprised how 10" may sound so similar to 12" (Countour helps a lot). Digged the idea how the modes are split between channels to optimize the choice of switchable tone pairs.

Cllean and Blues are definately Fender inspired (that's natural for Mesa). Like Blackface clean and pushed Bassman tone respectively.
      Crunch channel gives a suprisingly good approximation to the Plexi tone.
      Burn sounds like a bit more modern version of early Mark I and II (not C+)amps. Enough to practice metal and shred but one may like to put a distortion pedal in front for the actual performance.

5W mode is very different from 25W, it is not just a bit more drive from the power section, a serious redialing required (and tone stack is very interactive and a bit tricky)
      Because I don't say it
      Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
        5W mode is very different from 25W, it is not just a bit more drive from the power section, a serious redialing required (and tone stack is very interactive and a bit tricky)
        I agree; you do need to retweek when switching to 5W mode.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I have returned the amp.

Read why here:

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
          X