dsl 401 or tsl 601

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsl 401 or tsl 601

i am lookin for a good tube combo i have a chance to get a marshall dsl or tsl 112 combo to replace my peavey xxx super 40 efx 112 combo
    its only 100usd more for the tsl.
    any reviews or opinions on either would be greatly appreciated.
    also another option would be a fender pro tube series pro reverb amp
    http://squier.com.au/amplification/g...o_reverb.shtml
    Here I am

arghh I had a DSL..yeesh!

Um..how about a Peavey JSX or try the Marshall JVM!!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i actually likes d the xxx over the jsx i had both i couldnt seem to dial out the honking mids on the jsx for some reason
      i understand the marshall is gonna have a lot of mids but that is what its for
      Here I am

Comment

DSL = blegh! I'm looking to dump mine on the side of the road somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          DSL = blegh! I'm looking to dump mine on the side of the road somewhere.
          I'll take it As for TSL or DSL, if you're going to get a Marshall, you might as well go the whole nine yards and get a JVM. But if you can't, I would get the TSL. For $100 more, why not?

Comment

DSL 401/601's are notorious for having overheating and meltdown problems.
            I'd stay away from those and go TSL
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by pencilsketch View Post
              i actually likes d the xxx over the jsx i had both i couldnt seem to dial out the honking mids on the jsx for some reason
              i understand the marshall is gonna have a lot of mids but that is what its for

They are comparable. It is said that Joe used the XXX as his foundation to with Peavey. The JSX is the result of that. The worked with him and dialed out what he didn't like about the XXX..prolly why it's called the JSX..Joe Satriani's XXX..JSX

I didn't hear the "Honk" that some mentioned..not calling them liars for sure..I just don't hear it. We got along quite well.

I sure heard it with my Uber..nothing that Tung Sol preamp tubes didn't remedy for good. Some say they tried the Tung Sols with the JSX without luck..so, I dunno.

You gotta use your ears and be your own judge on this one..You have to be happy with your amp. The tone must be "inspiring", that's important..so opinions are subjective.

Alot of that tone is in your hands. It's a matter of getting the tone in your head to your fingers.. then to the amp that conveys the tone in your head the best it can.

There is some GREAT JSX clips in the MP3 section..that is what that amp sounds like to me, whenever I play it.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd choose the TSL from those 2 options only due to the overheating concerns, but I must ask... Why do you only consider the Marshall?

There are a lot of great amps out there, many of which most people here seem to like more than those 2 Marshall offerings. I used to have a Soldano 1x12 that I miss dearly and I only paid $600 for it in mint condition.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  I sure heard it with my Uber..nothing that Tung Sol preamp tubes didn't remedy for good. Some say they tried the Tung Sols with the JSX without luck..so, I dunno.
                  I've got a Tung S1 in the V1 of mine Bill (JJ's the rest of the way), I threw
                  it in Immediately when I got it home from matts.
                  (honestly I can't remember if I ever heard mine without it in there )
                  and I don't get the "honk" either

There is some GREAT JSX clips in the MP3 section..that is what that amp sounds like to me, whenever I play it.
                  That's what mine sounds like
                  those clips really helped me decide to try it out.
                  I've actually got my MXR 10 EQ in the loop now and I found that by
                  setting the mids on the amp at arund 6 and then boosting the lower mids
                  on the MXR just a "smidge" and cutting the upper frequencies on the MXR
                  a "smidge" it made the JSX sound much "Fatter".
                  I'm liking this amp more and more as I f' around with it.
                  Really subtle changes with the EQ controls make a huge
                  difference on this amps sound
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[QUOTE=pencilsketch;963861]i am lookin for a good tube combo i have a chance to get a marshall dsl or tsl 112 combo to replace my peavey xxx super 40 efx 112 combo
                    [QUOTE]

Curious why you're replacing the PV xxx? I have that
                    very amp and a DSL 401 and the PV kills the 401, IMO...

Comment

DSL 401 - the shittiest Marshall I've (sadly) ever owned. I'd rather have a Valvestate.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        They are comparable. It is said that Joe used the XXX as his foundation to with Peavey. The JSX is the result of that. The worked with him and dialed out what he didn't like about the XXX..prolly why it's called the JSX..Joe Satriani's XXX..JSX

I didn't hear the "Honk" that some mentioned..not calling them liars for sure..I just don't hear it. We got along quite well.

I've finally got my stuff setup to where I can record clips of my JSX so you can hear what I'm talking about. Everybody calls it a "honk", but that is not what it is to my ears. It is a brittle, top end thing. It may be in the mids, but it is up there 1000 - 1500k... and it can't be dialed out. Very dissappointing. Like I said, I played that amp three times before buying it, though it was at different stores. I really believe that there are great examples out there... maybe QC at Peavey is kinda lax. You should definitely play a few of them before buying. I wouldn't buy sight unseen.

And those clips in the MP3 section do sound great.

Comment

well im having problems with the xxx
                          and i have to return it for store credit
                          the marshalls and the fender are the only amps in my price range that they have used that is what is making my decision so narrow
                          Here I am

Comment

i want a 112 tube amp and these are the options that they have
                            Here I am

Comment

What are you playing through it? If you care about clean then I would guess the Fender is better

Comment

Working...
                              X