Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    arghh I had a DSL..yeesh!

Um..how about a Peavey JSX or try the Marshall JVM!!!

Buy a JVM

Comment

also the just got in a mesa nomad its a little mor than the tsl but i heard they soung good
      Here I am

Comment

Wassup Nick and Steve, and fellow brosephs in search of tone. Let me share my thoughts, because I have nothing else to do..I nailed Soilwork's "Chain heart machine" tone, dead on balls w/ my Marshall rig today..ironically there's a early Marshall 9200/ JMP-1 in the studio pic on that release. That was my introduction to SW and still my favorite SW album. That style and tone is ingrained into my liver. So I dialed that very tone and jammed with my son today. We were doin' random riffs here and there from that material. Then listened to that cd again and the tone is plain as day. It's not really "Heavy" tone like my Uber, or 5150, Recto and such. But I know I could get a heavier SW tone with the JSX. I don't know about the leads, that's where that Marshall is most blatant..it's right there, but I can't see a problem there!

My Uber doesn't sound like that at all, it's too "thick". The gain and girth of that head is untouchable. I've read you can get that "girth" from a recto or 5150, I owned all three...NOPE! Not the the way I dial and play it. I owned some serious bass rigs. I know the roles on where bass and guitar should be. I love a very chunky low end..but some guys are just pushing too much low freqs, even though it may still seem "tight" it often gets pretty bloated in the mix..I discovered that on my own and other players. Straining speakers to move freqs that you can feel but not heard...pushing those poor 12's into flatulent zones. Alot of us been there!!

They make active sub cabs for that..so you don't have to stress your speakers to concentrate on getting a natural , edgy tone that "cuts"..somewhat Of a Bi-amped rig..that Fear Factory dude udes that. He always used Masrshall 800's back in the day and always had a pretty nice "chug"..long ago. Maybe something to investigate for some.

Back on track..The JSX is like a perfect blend of my Marshall and Uber. I can't describe it any other way. It sounds and responds like a hybrid of both amps . The Uber has more "girth" than the JSX, XXX or 5150 but that's OK. I'm actually cutting the lows on the Bognger, I keep that approx 11 O' Clock, that's more than plenty. Which is prolly very comaparible to those amps with the low and resonance pushed up...which always seems perfect for me.

Why am I rambling..because I'm really condering a JSX. I have MY perfect "Marshall" tone and my "beast". I would LOVE to hear a Deizel or Framus. The best comparison scenario would be actual OWNERS that know how to get the most from those amps. I cultivated the heaviest tone I possibly could from my Bogner. You really can't go by a person's judgement who just basically "tinkered" with said amp. You need a OWNER who became one with it, with much foreplay and dry humping..Then we all carnk 'em up, and thrash over some hard kickin' blast beats..Think about it, That is the ONLY way to compare a amp's Brutality...IMO!!

I love Jeff Loomis' tone best when he plays his Recto..but his tone is not as heavy as Jon Schaffer's. I Love Jeff's playing much more, Jon's basically a rythm dude (Hetfield on steroids)..and I would love to hear Jeff with a Uber ..and yes, I told him that!

The Uber's eq section is extremely interactive, once you get used to that it's pretty easy to dial in whatever you want..you can't make it sound "bad"..I've tried..

That is not the case with Rectos or 5150s..you definitely can make those amps sound "bad..and many local people certainly do..There is a Preist tribute band here that use 5150s and you would absolutely cringe if you heard their tone..you have to waite for the vocals to see what song they're playing..because it's so fuzzed out...it is that fucked up!

I can dail in a JSX in minutes and be off and shredding in sonic bliss..and I like that..I tried to make the "ultra" chanel sound like shit..and it's still very passable to me.

he JSX is the only head I've played in a VERY long time I would consider buying. It conveys everything I throw at it very nicely..It's the only amp in years that is fucking with my head. That is something that does not happen often..could it be GAS, it's the closest thing I've ever had to it I guess.!

I love a great "Marshall" tone and always have..and had many Marshalls to get my favorute one. If I didn't have this I may consider the JVM if I liked it..it sounded pretty good when I heard it. But I have both "Marshall" and "Heavy" pretty well covered.

I bought a DSL100 that was about a month old, it still smelled new, when they just came out. Some dude needed money, and I snagged it for dirt..John and I tried like two mad scientist to get "life" from that thing..it was not to our standard of coolness whatsover , not even close..to Ebay it went, and got a FREE new 1960a Marshall cab out of that deal!

So..that's a story written of sheer boredom..

Happy Huntin,

Buy what you like..you're the one that matters. I heard players like Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich get by peachy with a stomp and a DSL. Those fuckers are inhuman..they could shred balls through anything..with their magic fingers.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
        X