GSP1101 Arrived - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP1101 Arrived - First Impressions

I received my GSP1101 and had about thirty minutes to play with it today.

Using the four cable method, I hooked the GSP1101 into a Mesa Boogie F-50. The 4 cable method, if you are not familiar with it (as I wasn't until recently), allows preamp effects to be placed in front of the amp and other effects, such as delay, to be placed in the amps fx loop. The GSP1101 provides the option of using the preamp on the amp or bypassing the amp's preamp section and using one of the amp models in the GSP1101.

I spent about fifteen minutes scrolling through the various presets. As expected, and as with most units, most players will end up not using these in favor of programming their own sounds. Also, does every single fx unit made by every single manufacturer have a setting called "Cliffs of Dover" or "Dover Cliffs" etc.?

Overall though, the presets are, in my opinion, not overdone. Several are actually pretty good, including the first preset "Plexi Drive". There is a nice presence to the preset sounds and I really didn't hear any boxiness/under a pillow type general sound that hampers many units.

I spent a few minutes scrolling through the amp models and was very pleased. The gainer amp models felt responsive, and responded well (cleaned up) when rolling off the volume knob and/or picking lightly.

FX:

Delays-performed as one would expect. The tape delay setting (what I probably use 90% of the time when using a delay) was good for dialing in space without having an overly noticable delay effect.

Choruses-again, as expected. The Boss CE model is very good as is the TC model.

Flangers/Phasers/Vibe type effects, etc.-All were good and usable.

Distortions-The DS-1 model performs, sounds, and feels like a current issue DS-1. I have one, so I was able to do a side by side comparison. The other distortion models did well.

I didn't have time to experiment with the other efx or try the unit for direct recording or as a recording interface. Hopefully, I will have time later this weekend to load the editing software and drivers and do some more experimenting.

I was really curious about this peice. How are the overdrives for overdriving your current amp sound? Also, does it have an effects loop? Can you control if the effects loop is before or after the amp using the 4 cable method?

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

The overdrives were great in front of the F-50. I could use the tube screamer/808/od settings to push the clean channel into a nice, mild blues/classic rock crunch. The heavier distortion pedal models did well in front of the clean channel as well.

It does have an effects loop. As far as I understand the loop, you can use it to like a series loop to insert other effects into the GSP1101's signal path, you can use it as an external loop that will totally bypass any of the amp models and cabinet simulations, or you can have it where you are able to switch between an external preamp or the amp models and cabinet simulations in the unit.

Comment

very interested in how this puppy sounds! Especially the recording/tone suckage factor

Comment

I hope to have some clips by next week. I'm in the middle of packing (moving to a new home), and my recording laptop and audio interface are already packed away.

Even though the GSP1101 can be used as a USB audio device, the machine I am on right now is too old and has too little ram to run any audio apps.

Comment

This does sound very interesting. I would be curious if you could do the following things without rewiring.

1- Bypass all Ampmodeling/speaker sims.
            2- Bypass your f-50 preamp section so that you can use the poweramp stage of your amp and use amp modeling from the GSP1101.
            3- The Editing Software.

This sounds like a nice little unit.

Hey if you have a change, post a screenshot of the patch editor main workbench.

-Nate
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

You don't have to change any wiring to switch between the amp models and your amp's preamp. Each patch allows for the selection between the models or your amp. I don't know yet if you can use a midi footswitch to select between the two (I haven't ordered one yet), but I have heard that Digitech is releasing a foot controller for this later and it might have the ability to switch between the models/your amp from the footswitch.

As it is now, it takes about two seconds to do this from the front panel.

Comment

I have some screenshots up at

http://www.setbb.com/gsp1101/viewtop...mforum=gsp1101

Comment

Hello

Thanks for this quick review, I am interested in getting one of these units, to replace a few of y floor effects from digitech.

I wanted to know if it does the space station well? also what is the whammy like on it? I see it can have a volume and an expression peda; attached and wanted to know if you used either of these features yet?

I have it narrowed down to this digitech unit and the fractal Axe FX ultra, I know the price point of either is far apart, but I like the other digitech units out there and the effects they have.

thanks.

C

Comment

I haven't had a chance to try either of those out yet. Until I finish moving, I probably will not be picking up a midi controller or expression pedals. I sort of want to wait and see what Digitech releases in the form of a foot controller, but picking up an old Art X-15 or something similar off of ebay is very tempting.

Comment

Working...
                    X