Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetta Replacement - time for something different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta Replacement - time for something different?

I'm looking to replace my Vetta 2 head with something else, tube maybe. If you were to spend up to 2k for a head, what would you get? I would like 3 independent channels - clean, crunch, modern, with independent eq and volume per channel. What's out there? I play everything from pop to metal.

Lots of options. . .what watts you looking for?
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

JSX, JVM, EVH 5150 III, Splawn, or get a Vox ToneLab LE with a stereo tube power amp, like a Mesa 20/20. I have been considering something similar for some time now, and that's how it is narrowed down thus far.

Comment

I've tried the EVHIII and thought is was great actually, I also have a Randall Lynch box with several different modules which kicks some serious ass. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
          or get a Vox ToneLab LE with a stereo tube power amp, like a Mesa 20/20. I have been considering something similar for some time now, and that's how it is narrowed down thus far.
          I don't know about the Vox specifically, but in general this seems like a good way to go. I've owned an ART DST-4 preamp/processor for a couple years now and couldn't be happier with it. I use one for recording, and just added one to a rack "mini rig" that I'm putting together. There's one in its final day on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DST4-rackmou...QQcmdZViewItem - for dirt cheap. The ART is just an example though; there are tons of good preamps on the used market for not much money, and plenty of affordable tube power amps. I could never find an amp that did everything I wanted, so I'm sticking to rack and pedal purchases.
          sigpic

Comment

Definately the new Engl Invader 100 head!! That thing is close to perfection man. GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS!!!

Comment

RK II or a JSX
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

My buddy plays in a cover bands with a Splawn Quick Rod - very good in that respect.

Comment

If I had the cash I would either go for a Randall RM50/RM100 with a variety of modules or a Carvin Tone Navigator preamp/TS100 power amp combo. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Izegrim View Post
                    Definately the new Engl Invader 100 head!! That thing is close to perfection man. GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS!!!
                    +1 if not that head I would suggest the Marshall JVM

Comment

Randall RM100 including 3 modules will do all that you listed and is significantly under your $2K budget brand new!

Rudy
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

+1 on the Randall RM100 idea. If you don't mind used, you can get a randall and three modules *and* fx like a gmajor *and* a foot controller for well under $1500.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I know you really like the JSX. As you know I reeally like that amp, the ultra channel of course. How does the JSX compare RM100..

I like it "heavy"..

The ones who tried the 5150III other than liking it..what does it resemble..anything like a Peavey..Marshall or Soldano..

Bill
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Pete, I know you really like the JSX. As you know I reeally like that amp, the ultra channel of course. How does the JSX compare RM100..

Bill
                            It's all subjective... I think the blackface module into the RM100 gets a better clean than the JSX. I like being able to pick a 2nd channel depending on my needs - the Vox, Marshall Plexi, Marshall SL+ (hot rodded marshall, after my mods it sounds like a JCM800 on 'roids) work well there. For the third channel, a modded recto or ultra module sound better to me than the JSX by a margin... the Ultra after my mods has the upper grind of a 5150 but not as fizzy, if that makes sense... the modded recto has the aggression but more clarity than a 'real' recto - it reminds me of the rackmount heads I've had.

A stock RM100 is ok with stock modules, I really prefer it after I've tweaked them though. One thing the JSX shines at is the fx loop, it's one of my favorites. However, you can run your pedals and damn near anything in the RM100 with an EbTech line level shifter.

Pete

Comment

My vote goes to a Mesa Road King.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X