Just bought a Trainwreck Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Trainwreck Clone

Should be interesting... now to source a 'trainwreck style' cab and face. This, an attenuator and a maybe a slight boost pedal should kick ass for my 70s classic rock band.

Pete

I remember when those came out Pete..it's a natural wood box yes?..I remember it being pretty expensive for a lower watt tube amp..keep us posted.

Never heard it, just good things about it.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      I remember when those came out Pete..it's a natural wood box yes?..I remember it being pretty expensive for a lower watt tube amp..keep us posted.

Never heard it, just good things about it.
      Bill, you'd probably hate it... amp is a one channel wonder, no fx loop, but you can go from clean to scream with your guitar volume. I remember reading a guitar player article about them back in the early 90s, they were $1500 or so. A 'real' one now is around $35k or so, around Dumble territory for sure. The clone I'm getting is a Ceriatone - I was going to build one, but just don't have the time. Tone-wise they are mid-heavy and more of a 'zz top on steroids' kinda thing. Couldn't play Master of Puppets on one, but you could do classic rock and maybe even early Van Halen until the cows came home. Depending on the tubes used, this one will run from about 18-50 watts... you can pop in EL34s or 6V6s.

And yeah, they are the amps that had wood cabs, and no serial numbers - Ken Fischer (trainwreck guy) would *name* them after women. I always thought that was cool, but if I did that I'd name em after cartoon characters. I'm looking forward to getting this amp, thank God I have a decent attenuator I can put the amp into, because it doesn't have a master volume either.

Comment

Sam

Comment

Yeah Pete thats the one..I'm asuming tone-wise it's prolly along the linesof one of the DR Z amps I played. Mike Z was just putting the finishing touches on his small Carmen Gia model..named after his son Carmen.

here's a link to the only site I found with a pic..http://www.trainwreck.com/

wow, should have bought some these when they came out..only if we knew!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Yeah Pete thats the one..I'm asuming tone-wise it's prolly along the linesof one of the DR Z amps I played. Mike Z was just putting the finishing touches on his small Carmen Gia model..named after his son Carmen.

here's a link to the only site I found with a pic..http://www.trainwreck.com/

wow, should have bought some these when they came out..only if we knew!!
            Yup, that's the guy and the amp. They actually get quite a bit grindier than Mike Zaite's stuff, but aren't a metal amp at all. I always wanted one so I bought it. Got a quote on a nice wood cab too... damn near the same price I paid for the amp! Think I'm going to wait until I get it here and see if I dig it enough to keep before I buy the $$$ headshell.

Pete

Comment

Pete - is this one of the Gear Page guys? Someone came over with one of those the other day and it was fucking kick ass - it's fairly bright but it sings!
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've got a Train 45, and it really is a great little amp. Simple concept, and because the circuit is so simple, you can control everything from the guitar.

When I roll back the volume, there is NO diminishment in volume until I hit One. Instead, the amp just sounds cleaner and cleaner. Very nice cleans too.

Ultimately, however, I am not a good enough player for this amp. It's so incredibly responsive to everything you do. People say you have to be dead serious to play a SLO100 and the like because you can't hide your mistakes. Well, the Train 45 takes that idea to a whole new level. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  Pete - is this one of the Gear Page guys? Someone came over with one of those the other day and it was fucking kick ass - it's fairly bright but it sings!
                  Yep, it doesn't have a master volume, but I plan on putting some NOS 6V6s (I have a stash of JAN VT-109s, some RCA blackplates, some GEs, some TungSols from the 50s/60s, etc) and then running a 25 watt Weber Mass. we'll see how it goes. I need to source a good hardwood cab for it, but I think the chassis will fit in one of the headshells I have now.

Tim - how hard was it to play? I'm pretty curious about that, if it's going to be a real bitch to do solos well.

Pete

Comment

Basically, I just turned it about two-thirds up and dug in. Classic rock/blues solos will be a piece of cake. Anything on the heavier side could use a pedal. I plugged my Lovepedal Eternity into it and just sang. I used my GMW Tele, JEM 20th, and solid rosewood neck McCarty. I could gig with just that amp and pedal. A wah, chorus, and/or delay wouldn't hurt either

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      Basically, I just turned it about two-thirds up and dug in. Classic rock/blues solos will be a piece of cake. Anything on the heavier side could use a pedal. I plugged my Lovepedal Eternity into it and just sang. I used my GMW Tele, JEM 20th, and solid rosewood neck McCarty. I could gig with just that amp and pedal. A wah, chorus, and/or delay wouldn't hurt either
                      Well, the band I'm going to try it for is classic rock - old Aerosmith, Free, DLR era VH is about as heavy as it's going to get. I'm just scratching my head at how to get a volume boost for leads... I may install a passive fx loop in there, and then run a volume pedal there.

Did you try an attenuator? EL34 or 6V6 loaded head? I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        Well, the band I'm going to try it for is classic rock - old Aerosmith, Free, DLR era VH is about as heavy as it's going to get. I'm just scratching my head at how to get a volume boost for leads... I may install a passive fx loop in there, and then run a volume pedal there.

Did you try an attenuator? EL34 or 6V6 loaded head? I'm actually pretty excited about it.
                        Didn't try an attenuator. It was EL34 loaded. Volume boost? Meh, as a guitarist you should already be the loudest thing

- Newc

Comment

Well, we have another guitarist! however, he's using a Line6, so I'm guessing the 'wreck would smash through the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            Well, we have another guitarist! however, he's using a Line6, so I'm guessing the 'wreck would smash through the mix.
                            Line6 vs. Trainwreck - Pete that's not even fair to other guitarist :ROTF:

- Newc

Comment

I'd put a vetta against it as far as volume/cutting, but a good trainwreck clone does its thing incredibly well.

Comment

Working...
                              X