Just bought a new Mesa...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new Mesa...

..a Mesa Express 5:25 head. I'm playing in two bands right now, and to be honest lugging around a 100 pound plus rack is getting old. So... I tried one out at a music store in OKC (I live in Tulsa) and the amp kicked ass. Thought I'd try to find one online, couldn't... so I just called the music store and bought the amp, should have it in my hands tomorrow.

I was going to find an old studio .22+, but this express IMHO just kills it. Plus it's a head, and probably weighs around 30ish pounds. Has an fx loop, so I'll probably use an Ebtech line level shifter with it and an EQ for solo boost... and a Yamaha DG stomp for chorus, delay and reverb. You can change the wattage from either 5 to 25 watts (which is being optomistic, dyna-power or whatever... it's a pair of EL84s, so it's more like 15-18 watts.)

Clips and a better review to come.

Pete

Pete, how does the general tone of this amp compare to the RM-20?

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser View Post
      Pete, how does the general tone of this amp compare to the RM-20?
      It depends on the module used. If the RM20 was the same size and had two completely independent channels, I'd use it... plus my RM20 is a combo, which I'm somewhat regretting. I just don't dig the sound of open back speakers.

I'll try to post some clips later this week or weekend, and can do some of each amp. Should be interesting!

Pete

Comment

I'm looking forward to your review of this amp Pete. I'm giving some serious thought about getting one.

Comment

Pete,

Any more reflections from the first month of using the Express 5/25?

Comment

What cab are you using it with?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have really been enjoying these thus far...my favorite setting is the "crunch" setting on channel 1...if I needed a smaller combo for gigging or something I'd buy one without question...

Comment

I'm also very interested in your experience with this amp Pete.

Comment

Using it with a Marshall JCM800 loaded with really old G75s. Sounds great! Also using it with my 'classic rock' band - ADA splitstack cab, loaded with Warehouse Speakers V30 clones. Sounds really good with the splitstack, but the 4x12 obviously sounds 'bigger'.

I may be selling it - depending on how well my trainwreck clone does at the gig this friday. It's super clean, bought it new from a dealer, and hasn't even had the warranty stuff filled out. And it has a cover!

As far as the tones - it reminds me of a modern Fender champ at times, you can run it at 5 watts and push the output section. Running it at 25 watts it sounds like a really good mesa .22+ - nice lead voice, awesome cleans. Reverb is nice, fx loop works well, etc. Plus it's small enough to easily carry with one hand. The clean channel can be run crystal clean, or with plexi-ish amounts of gain. Lead has a lower 'blues' setting, or typical mesa 'burn'. Each channel has a contour knob, which basically allows you to scoop the mids like the old Mesa Mark series with Graphic EQ. contour, reverb and channels are all footswitchable.

I need more flexibility with my "Arena Rock" band, so I use a randall RM4 and RT2/50 power amp with G major for it. I bought this amp before I got the trainwreck clone, and kinda fell under the Trainwreck spell.

Pete

Comment

I´ve been looking at the 5:25 head, looks pretty interesting. When they start turning up used I´ll probably take a closer look and take one for a spin. An EL84-powered modern Boogie is a pretty good concept.

How´s the headroom, by the way? It doesn´t start to mush out at normal band volumes, does it? I´ve heard a few 20-watters that didn´t really cut it when things got loud.

Comment

It's plenty loud with a 2x12 or 4x12.

Comment

You are truly an amp whore Pete.

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          You are truly an amp whore Pete.

Nice.
                          We can share the crown, John!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                            We can share the crown, John!
                            I am itching for a new amp... I am thinking about getting a Carvin Legacy. Its one of the few I haven't owned.

Comment

john, check out the vintage modern with matching cab. fukkin smokkes!
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X