Went to GC to get a Soldano Avenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to GC to get a Soldano Avenger

They didn;t have one or any Bogners. NONE. Had a ton of crates and line 6's though and every young guy was crowded around the crate line 6 island. So I grabbed a dk2m and went over to the mesa 5-25 little combo. Sucked as I thought it would. Got lousy reviews at grailtone just wanted to be sure. Muddy and sounded like garbage. To my surprise the vetta sounded good but I don't have a masters degree in amps so I let that one go. It had way too many buttons and patches ,nice for some but I don't need that many choices and I spent more time finding a tone then playing the guitar.I really wanted to try a Soldano avenger and Bogner xtc next to each other but thay had neither. I almost bought the dk2m but it was too much. I got him to eat the tax and throw in a case but I still wanted 30 more off the price. He wouldn't budge so I walked but I got to try some amps. Still looking for an Avenger .

Get one, they are awesome! I've had my Avenger for about a month now and I've got nothing but great things to say about it. The lack of features doesn't bother me at all... the tone is so good adding effects would only ruin it. When you get the amp up over 3 on the master is really starts to open up. You can really hear all the overtones and stuff going on in the tone. Outstanding!

As far as cleans, it does clean up pretty well by rolling off the volume knob on the guitar. I don't use super high gain pickups either... I'm sure if you're into EMG's rolling the guitar volume knob wouldn't be all that stellar.
    Last edited by khabibissell; 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I heard great things about the Avenger. Pete said a while back that I would like it!

Crap, I was hoping to hear about it.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        I heard great things about the Avenger. Pete said a while back that I would like it!

Crap, I was hoping to hear about it.
        I have one of my cabs set up in another room in my house so I can crank it a bit and still record. I'm messing around with mic positions, but once I get everything sounding somewhat the way I want, I'll make some clips of the Dual Rec, Avenger, DSL, and JSX (playing the same riffs) so you guys can hear the differences. There are alot of questions about the JSX especially, so it should be helpful.

I'm hoping to get out of work at a decent time tonight so I can see Dream Theater, so it might be a few days.

Comment

I haven't seen any Soldano product out at the GC near me, just a purple combo amp they have in the used pile. Mainly Marshall, Peavey, Vox and Line 6 set up in the store.

Seems like they have a 1W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W and 25W version of evrything out on the floor but less of the high end stuff.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
            They didn;t have one or any Bogners. NONE. Had a ton of crates and line 6's though and every young guy was crowded around the crate line 6 island. So I grabbed a dk2m and went over to the mesa 5-25 little combo. Sucked as I thought it would. Got lousy reviews at grailtone just wanted to be sure. Muddy and sounded like garbage.
            I bought one of those 5:25 heads today, I'll have it in a few days, and I'll be glad to record some clips that will make you eat your words. It will be through a 4x12 cab though!

BTW, anyone who expects to get deep and satisfying thrash and heavy metal tones with an amp with a 10" open back speaker needs to get a grip.

Comment

Sorry you had such a bad day pika!! hope tomorrow is better for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                I bought one of those 5:25 heads today, I'll have it in a few days, and I'll be glad to record some clips that will make you eat your words. It will be through a 4x12 cab though!
                +1.

My 5:50 is great. I have the 2x12 combo.

One of these days, when I am not being so lazy, I will plug it into my 4x12 closed back cab and see what that sounds like.

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

PIKA, why the hell would you go to Guitar Center looking for a Bogner? They're not Bogner dealers. And unless you live near one of the few California GCs that carries Soldano, why were you expecting to find a Soldano at GC?

For future reference:

http://www.soldano.com/newsiteapril/html/dealers.html
                  http://www.bogneramplification.com/D...m#UnitedStates
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I was looking for used Soldanos or Bogners. Now and then GC gets a high quality used piece of gear and I thought I would get lucky.

Pete I just wanted to get an idea of the amp ,I was hoping I could try out the head but I've never had luck with mesa anyway. I guess I'm more into a Marshall type of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                      I have one of my cabs set up in another room in my house so I can crank it a bit and still record. I'm messing around with mic positions, but once I get everything sounding somewhat the way I want, I'll make some clips of the Dual Rec, Avenger, DSL, and JSX (playing the same riffs) so you guys can hear the differences. There are alot of questions about the JSX especially, so it should be helpful.

I'm hoping to get out of work at a decent time tonight so I can see Dream Theater, so it might be a few days.
                      Yeah Steve that would kick ass..!!

Pete...

Soldano, Bogner, and boutique amps don't last long at your local shops. They go QUICK, because they are so coveted and hard to find.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Finally.....a SOLDANO thread!!!!!!!!

Comment

They had a used SLO with mods (that didn't look factory to me) at the local GC for $2800! You're usually going to be a lot better off with an individual than trying to find a deal on rare gear at GC... at least stuff like Soldano that puts '$' signs in their eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            PIKA, why the hell would you go to Guitar Center looking for a Bogner? They're not Bogner dealers. And unless you live near one of the few California GCs that carries Soldano, why were you expecting to find a Soldano at GC?

For future reference:

http://www.soldano.com/newsiteapril/html/dealers.html
                            http://www.bogneramplification.com/D...m#UnitedStates
                            That was kinda my thought, but if you were looking for used gear...well, then it's a different story. Did you look on their website - they have used gear on there now. I don't know that I've ever seen a Bogner here in the 4 stores in the Twin Cities, and only 2 or 3 Soldanos. They usually end up at the boutique shops - Solid Body Guitar or Willie's.

Comment

http://shop.ebay.com/soldano_W0QQ_nkwZsoldano
                              As of now, theres a couple listed...check it out.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X