Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new amp...... kinda......not really........ well it is for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new amp...... kinda......not really........ well it is for me!

i bought a fender super 210 from jeff (stratgod), sounds pretty good for $300. (fyi jeff is one cool cat, although I was a pain in the ass when it it came to shipping the beast.)

but, the distortion wasn't the best, is to muddy, every thing i play sounds to legato. it it doesn't have much gain on tap.

i tried opening it up it see if that solves the problem, but it gets muddier and the cleans start distorting.

it currently has groove tube gt12ax7's and gt6l6r's. do you think i should try different tubes? i was aiming for and old school metallica, but i under stand fender amps aren't made for that.

thanks for any help recieved.
    Last edited by kelly user; 08-17-2007, 05:37 PM.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

You bought the wrong amp for old school Metallica. You'll need a pedal.

Comment

Yep, run the amp clean and run a distortion pedal into it. Though, you should have also bought an amp with a 12" or 15" speaker instead of 10".
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        i bought a fender super 210 from jeff (stratgod), sounds pretty good for $300. (fyi jeff is one cool cat, although I was a pain in the ass when it it came to shipping the beast.)

but, the distortion wasn't the best, is to muddy, every thing i play sounds to legato. it it doesn't have much gain on tap.

i tried opening it up it see if that solves the problem, but it gets muddier and the cleans start distorting.

it currently has groove tube gt12ax7's and gt6l6r's. do you think i should try different tubes? i was aiming for and old school metallica, but i under stand fender amps aren't made for that.

thanks for any help recieved.
        Wrong amp for that tone. Sorry bro. Don't beat a dead horse. If you are looking for Metallica tone you shosuld be looking at Mesa Boogie.
        The Super 210 is a good old school blues/rock amp but thats about it.
        You could throw a Metal Zone in front of the clean channel.

Comment

Just curious.... why would you chose a Fender Super 210 if you are looking for old school Metallica tone??

That would be like picking up a Peavey 5150 because you are into old school early Beatles tone.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            Just curious.... why would you chose a Fender Super 210 if you are looking for old school Metallica tone??

That would be like picking up a Peavey 5150 because you are into old school early Beatles tone.
            I get old school metallica off the wazoo! Quad into 50/50 into V30's.

Though, the super's are nice amps and are a good addition to any tone arsenal, once you find a good tone, before you know it, you'll be addicted to playing bluesy licks and just grooving away.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

well the original intension, was to have good clean amp, and figure it out from there, but there is potential. it can hit the metallica tone, but it is a bit fuzzy and muddy, which i why i thought a tube swap would help. but like i said wishful thinking.
              thanks guys.
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Yep, run the amp clean and run a distortion pedal into it. Though, you should have also bought an amp with a 12" or 15" speaker instead of 10".
                beggars can't be choosers............... being 16 with only an "odd jobs" job, sucks.

Comment

beggars can't be choosers............... being 16 with only an "odd jobs" job, sucks.
                  Then you should make a point of getting something versatile and that has a lot of bang for your buck. That said, Your best bet is to put a Boss Metal Zone in front of the clean channel. You could also try an MXR Distortion+ over the clean channel or a DOD YJM308 working with the overdrive channel.

Comment

Work and save. I worked odd jobs and vacations for four years + saved all of my birthday and whatnot money to get my dream amp. I never wasted money on in-between kind of stuff. No pain no gain. You see what you want and you go for it full force.

Comment

find a tech 21 XXL, distortion pedal. IMHO its one of the best NON boutique distortion box.

Comment

Reminds me of a story from my past:

I went to GC, played the Road King and knew it was the amp for me. I was in college and didn't have a whole lot of cash so I started looking around for something similar buy cheaper. My dad stopped me and said, "Why buy something you're just going to sell later? You have an amp right now, you're not gigging, so save for the one you really want." I was doubtful that he could be right () but I did it anyway to make him happy. 9 months later I had the $2100 I needed and I bought the Road King, and I didn't have to mess around with any temporary amps.

My suggestion to you: keep the Fender, since you already have it. Buy the cheapest distortion pedals you can, just to make the amp sound a little better and then save, save, save! In other words, if you want that old school Metallica sound, then find out what amps they used (Dual Rectifiers IIRC) and save up for one.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          Reminds me of a story from my past:

I went to GC, played the Road King and knew it was the amp for me. I was in college and didn't have a whole lot of cash so I started looking around for something similar buy cheaper. My dad stopped me and said, "Why buy something you're just going to sell later? You have an amp right now, you're not gigging, so save for the one you really want." I was doubtful that he could be right () but I did it anyway to make him happy. 9 months later I had the $2100 I needed and I bought the Road King, and I didn't have to mess around with any temporary amps.
                          That's been my philosophy since forever. The only downside is you don't have a lot 'gear experience'. I haven't played with a zillion of different amps and pedals, but I've got my dream set-up, so who gives a fuck!

If you save, you'll have it sooner than you think. Dual Recs aren't old school Metallica though. That's: IIC+, III, Quad, Studio, IV, and if you're anal a good marshall powersection to run it all through, though it's mostly the el34's you want so anything with el34's to slave into would be better. Add an extra EQ to the loop and you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            find a tech 21 XXL, distortion pedal. IMHO its one of the best NON boutique distortion box.
                            Can't go wrong with Tech 21 products.

Also, an AMT Extreme III pedal is like a Recto in a box!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you've got about $80 to spend on distortion and patient until you find a used pedal.. I would buy a used Metal Zone for $40 or $50 then spend $30 for Monte Allums Tri-Gain MT-2 mod kit.
                              I was never very fond of my Metal Zone..but now it is infriggincredible.
                              DK2M
                              Fender Strat (Made in USA)
                              Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Comment

Working...
                              X