Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new amp...... kinda......not really........ well it is for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

errrr...... i had a metal zone, i used it on the amp sounded way to shrill. i was thinking of a nice overdrive pedal ts808, bad monkey?
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
      errrr...... i had a metal zone, i used it on the amp sounded way to shrill. i was thinking of a nice overdrive pedal ts808, bad monkey?
      A TS808 or a Bad Monkey will just give you a heavier classic hard rock tone. If you want old school Metallica I would suggest moving to a different amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        A TS808 or a Bad Monkey will just give you a heavier classic hard rock tone. If you want old school Metallica I would suggest moving to a different amp.
        even with the amp on distortion channel?
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yes. I have a TS (which IMHO puts out a bit more gain then TS808) and the most I can get out of my Epi. Valve Junior when its cranked all the way is say, an early Judas Priest tone.

Comment

If your amp has a good amount of distortion to begin with, then yes, a good OD pedal will definitely work.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok, as per my other question, is there anyway to get rid of the muddiness on the low end, i was thinking it may even be my guitar ( gibson explorer) i have heard that the low quailty electronic components are the source of the fabled set-neck muddy problem.
              maybe a rs kit would help the problem, i don't have another guitar to try with the amp. although i thought it might be the problem with the current groove tubes.

any thoughts?

Comment

ok, as per my other question, is there anyway to get rid of the muddiness on the low end, i was thinking it may even be my guitar ( gibson explorer) i have heard that the low quailty electronic components are the source of the fabled set-neck muddy problem.
                maybe a rs kit would help the problem, i don't have another guitar to try with the amp. although i thought it might be the problem with the current groove tubes.

any thoughts?
                To get rid of the muddiness you need to use the clean channel and a distortion pedal. The Extreme 3 pedal or the Line 6 Uber pedal might work.

Again.. not to beat a dead horse but.... you are NOT going to get the tone you are looking for out of that amp.
                The ONLY way would be to buy a modeler like a Boss GT-8 or an XT Live and plug it into the effects return only on your Fender amp. This way.. the only thing you would be using the amp for is power.

Comment

well the original intension, was to have good clean amp, and figure it out from there, but there is potential. it can hit the metallica tone, but it is a bit fuzzy and muddy, which i why i thought a tube swap would help. but like i said wishful thinking.
                  thanks guys.
                  I have a '67 Deluxe Reverb, single 12", but wanted the LA heavy tone.

Didn't want to give up the amp, though...I wound up getting a 2X12 cab, put celestion G12M70's, used a Rat, and life was good. Now I have the choice of ZZ through the Deluxe Reverb natural overdirve, and serious crunch through
                  the rat and the cab.

Point is well made, the amp won't make that tone, but can be a great vehicle to drive it through.

Also, get a cheap stereo EQ, like radio shack or whatever is on sale, and route your pedal through it. Left side pre, right side post. You'll be astounded at the range of tone. I stole this idea from an EVH gear faq, and actually put my Boss OD1 and a delay inside the box:

You made a pretty good choice, but you'll definitally need some speaker mass for that bottom, and a good pedal. I would'nt give up the amp.
                  Last edited by Cygnus X1; 08-22-2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

drink heavily enough to puke and record it...
                    then you'll have the old school metallica sound....

Comment

Cygnus X1....... thanks a bunch. i actually have hope for the amp now. i talked to my local fender guru, he told me to put # 5 groove tubes and when i had the cash buy a 2X12 cab for it, as well as a Eq and i'll be in metal territory.

Comment

Like trying to push an elephant up the stairs...
                        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                        custom made Les Paul
                        VOX Tonelab LE
                        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                        ADA MP1
                        BBE 422A
                        Lexicon MPX-G2
                        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                        Support Your Local 81

Comment

Cygnus X1....... thanks a bunch. i actually have hope for the amp now. i talked to my local fender guru, he told me to put # 5 groove tubes and when i had the cash buy a 2X12 cab for it, as well as a Eq and i'll be in metal territory.
                          Thanks, KU...It won't be exactly what you are looking for, but it's a good foundation, and you can get set up cheap if you hunt around.

I love to horse trade...a guy that was absolutely nuts about BC Rich guitars traded an empty 1960's 2x12 Fender cabinet for two stripped out Rich bodies I had...one a platinum warlock, the other an NJ bich. To me, they were just something to pass off, he thought old fender stuff was uncool, so trade made, probly 25 dollars out of my pocket. Then my wife saw that someone put a Kustom 2x12 combo amp on the curb for trash pickup. I hauled it into the van, plugged it in, and nothing was wrong with it! Filled the cab with the Kustom speakers, and life is good! The speakers were just right for it.

Even if you have no bucks for the "cool stuff", keep plugging away, it can happen.

Comment

Retubing + EQ + 2x12 + speakers(perhaps). That's going to run you into the $400 mark or somewhere around there?

If you'd hang on for a little bit longer, get $250 to $300 more and look around in the meantime. You can get an Mk III for $700 if you're lucky. If not, keep looking and saving, you'll snatch one up for $750 or $800 for sure.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                              Retubing + EQ + 2x12 + speakers(perhaps). That's going to run you into the $400 mark or somewhere around there?

If you'd hang on for a little bit longer, get $250 to $300 more and look around in the meantime. You can get an Mk III for $700 if you're lucky. If not, keep looking and saving, you'll snatch one up for $750 or $800 for sure.
                              Agreed, if you get everything new...the retube could probably wait, or just swap out a pre & the power tubes.
                              Stereo EQ's are a dime a dozen. I'm not talking anything too sophisticated.
                              Cabs can be made fairly inexpensively, speakers can be tough. Enough shoe leather time can save huge amounts of cash.

Comment

Dumping all that money into that amp so that you could get close to the tone you are looking for is crazy.
                                Sell it and take the 300-400 extra you are willing to put into it and buy an amp that is designed to give you the tone you are looking for. You could buy a used 5150 or a DSL combo or a Mesa combo or head. You could buy a Laney, a Randall, a modeling amp.. heck.. you have so many choices!!
                                Pouring money into a blues/classic rock amp with hopes of getting it to sound like old school Metallica is nuts. But... its your money.

Comment

Working...
                                X