Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good amp for 7 string death metal?

I know there are some topics on this, but anyway:
    During my last concert i got the remark that people couldn't really distinguish the notes we played because of the low tuning (B) and sucky amp (i used a marshall 8100 head & 2 cabinets, the other guitarist a rocktron rack preamp through a crate head).
    We play fast technical death metal, lots of tremolo but also a lot of fast individual note riffs.

Any thoughts to get a better sound?

Stick with a tube stack and turn down the gain abit , a thick ,clean distortion sounds awesome when down tuned as opposed to a over distorted solid state. I used a 5150 and love it , but i have tried the Krank and think they are good to.

Comment

Yeah i've been thinking about a 5150, but i have to find someone who has one to try it

Comment

depending on the type of sound you want to achieve - imho cab choice would be vintage 30 , not oversized (at least not mesa oversized for this type of music - mine was too muddy and slow for this ), head ? something fairly middy and well cutting in general - you don't want to be drowned by the blastbeats do you ?

Comment

I'd go with either a 5150 (boosted) thru V30's
          of a Dual Rectifier (also boosted).
          Works for bands like Nevermore and Arch Enemy,
          should work for you.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I'll let my bud Nick speak for me..

Nick has his gear working good for him..I'm partial to the 5150 over the recto..but you gotta go what right for you..and only you will know that!

Tell 'em Nick..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

just cause you use low tuning doesn't mean you have to use low end sound, try turning up the mids and turning down the bass, bass will naturally come with volume. Try upping the mids and you may be surprised how much more you'll cut through the mix
              ----------
              Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

+1 on turning down the gain. Lots of amps start to get mushy at high gain levels. Turning it down keeps the aggression but cleans up the sound.
                Scott

Comment

There was a dude locally that was playing an Ibanez 7 string through a VHT Pitbull... It sounded amazing. Probably one of the best live tones I've ever heard.

Comment

OK Nick ain't home..

Tell'em Steve..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

VHT is good as is an ENGL Powerball or SE or Invader,
                      and I agree turn up the mids a bit it works wonders.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Everything is already at 10 :ROTF:
                        I'll try turning down the bass tho.

Comment

OK Nick and Steve, I'll do it...mink ya!

Uberschall..

why you guys make me say that word so much..I was trying to hold back..dammit.

Comment

5150, Jsx, Dc-5

Comment

Ubershall yeah, a friend of mine recorded their demo on one and he told me it wasn't as dirty sounding as his Randall V-Max, but i'm not after that sound either.
                              They have one at my local guitar shop so i'll definately try one out. I heard there are 2 versions of it, one with a blue lamp and without. Which one is best, or do they sound about the same?

Comment

Working...
                              X