Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp coming, need a cab

Hi!

I recently bought a Crate GX-130C Head and I need a cabinet where to put it on. Since I'm a total newbie when it comes to choosing a cab, I need your help!

My knowledge now is based mostly on this article http://metaltabs.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-36993.html

So according to it, since my GX-130C is a stereoamplifier, I should buy a stereo cab, right? And since the minimum load for both poweramps is 4 ohms, the cab should be also rated 4 ohms minimum. Or at least that's the ideal case.

I don't know much of the speakers either, but I've read that lot of you playing metal are using V30's. Should I go with the masses or is there an even better choise for the element? Yeah I know it's a matter of opinion but I really don't have a possibility to test the speakers in person because of the lack of music shops. I play mostly death metal and grind if that helps at all.

So, what cabinets from which manufacturer should I look for? And how much do they usually cost? I don't want to buy the best and the most expensive cabinet in the world, so you can leave the Mesas for someone who has lots of money. And yeah, I'd prefer a used one, so is there a decent cab that pops up on the eBay once in a while and isn't too expensive?

Thanks in advance!
    And sorry for the bad English, I'm kinda tired...

OzoMan

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. The amp is rated 65W RMS @ 8 Ohms per poweramp, so the cab should take at least 150 Watts.
    Last edited by OzoMan; 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM.

why not just get the cab that crate recommends for this head?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      why not just get the cab that crate recommends for this head?
      It's a discontinued model. I don't think they'll recommend anything.

Comment

You could probably get a really good price on an old Peavey stereo cab with Sheffield speakers. I like Sheffields a bit more than V30s for death metal, and the Peavey cabs are very sturdy. Incidentally, the old Jackson cabs (Eminence or Jensen??? speakers) are stereo and can often be had for cheap.
        sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to put out there that you can wire any cab with an even number of speakers for stereo operation.

With that said, I'm more of a combo kind of guy, so I can't help you with the speaker choice. I have used Celestion Vintage 30s and liked them a lot. I also liked the Mesa Black Shadows (which I believe are remarked Celestions?). Which speaker to get really depends on the character of the amp. Is it really punchy? Then get a speaker with a little less mid-reproduction. Is it really scooped? Then get a speaker that's a little warmer to soften it up. It's really up to you. There is no "correct" cab for a particular amp.
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X