Head/FX integration... Post your setup: discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head/FX integration... Post your setup: discuss

I'm currently playing through a Peavey JSX with a G-Major in the loop. My signal goes like this... (My rig is ever evolving)

Guitar (Les Paul or Jackson DKMGT both with Dimarzio's)
    Mogami cable into the JSX's low gain input. G-Major in the loop with Mogami patch cables. Custom FJA mods cable to JSX footswitch jack so G-Major can switch channels. All of this is controlled with a Rocktron Midi Mate.

Basically I run pretty lean on effects, and in some cases run the G-Major totally dry. I can adjust everything in real time and IMO it sounds great for live performance which is all I do with it. I wanted to get a thread going that illustrated different approaches to setting up a rig so that people contemplating pulling the trigger on new gear could get a feel for different setups. Besides... I'm addicted to buying gear.

BTW: I've had some issues with the JSX being overly bright but with experimentation I've found that TAD 6L6's and better preamp tubes (Tung Sol and Penta Labs in V1-V3 respectively) have really rounded out the sound of the amp. The only thing I plan on messing with in the future is a set of Weber Beam Blockers to make my V-30 loaded 212 a bit nicer to be right in front of.

i run a rivera s-120 (a stereo tube head) in a wet/dry setup. in the loop (which is always on) i have my power conditioner, tuner, a digitech studio quad (a 4 channel effects unit), and a rocktron HUSH noise reduction. the "wet" side of the amp runs (2) rivera C112 cabs loaded with EVM12L speakers. the "dry" side of the amp runs a mesa recto 2x12 (with a half back) loaded with english vintage 30s.

the tuner is routed int the front of the amp. i use the "slavemaster" function od the rivera as a mute switch for tuning, changing guitars, and to keep the rig silent between songs.

the digitech has a great interal routing system. i use effects sparingly, but i tend to always have a slight chorus and 330ms of delay at a 17% feedback rate, mixed at 25%, on all the time. just enough to thicken the sound, but not mud stuff up. the chorus is sent to both sides of the amp. it is very subtle, maybe a 15% mix level. the delay is sent to the left side of the amp. when i use other patches, like a harmonizer or heavey delay, the patch is routed to the left side only. that allows me to keep my main signal clear, much like when i am recording. the effects are 100% wet when i am going for a "real" effect. it is pretty awesome.

the NR unit goes to both sides of the amp to keep the hiss down. the digitech is a little noisy, but the fact that it is a 4 channel processor outweighs that for me.

i use two mics on stage, on for each side of the amp. the sound is awesome and it stays VERY clear. i used to use sennheiser MD421s. now i use the E09. it is very cool.

the rivera uses (4) winged C EL34s and a mix-match of 12ax7 and 12at7 preamp tubes.

i use NO boost in front of the amp. the only effects on the floor are a VOX wah and an MXR EVH phase 90. to control the digitech i use a rocktron midi-mate.

for cables, i use george L's cut to the exact length i need.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X