Tell me about the Soldano Avenger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Soldano Avenger.

I see these come up for sale on Ebay much more frequently than SLOs, and thay also seem to go for half the price if not less. From what I understand, the Avenger is basically just a SLO, but without the clean channel. Now, since I have no use for a clean channel anyway, this would probably suit me to a tee. I can stick an EQ in front to use as a lead boost, and I'm all set. On the other hand, there is an Avenger on Ebay right now with footswitchable dual master volumes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldano-Avenger-...QQcmdZViewItem

The only problem I can foresee, is the lack of an effects loop. I run an ISP Decimator in my loop to get rid of any noise, and it doesn't do the job as well in front of the amp.

Anyone have experiance with these?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

You won't get lead boost by sticking an EQ in front of the amp. You will only get more gain and alot more noise.
    The only thing that kept me from the Avenger is the lack of an effects loop.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      You won't get lead boost by sticking an EQ in front of the amp. You will only get more gain and alot more noise.
      The only thing that kept me from the Avenger is the lack of an effects loop.
      I've never tried it, so I didn't know. I use one right now in my effects loop, and it works great. I wonder how much work it would be to have an effects loop put in.

Comment

ISP Decimators rule! The best damn pedal for noise killin'.

Now, I'm getting the Pro Rack G Decimator, as soon as I go to the States and buy my G-Major. The ONLY downside of the pedal, is that once you set it for DISTORTION noise killin', the clean sounds are all muffled up. The Pro Rack says to work for both channels with one setting! Yeah!

Now, I was looking into the AVENGER myself some time ago, BUT... yeah, the effects loop was the only reason. They need to add an effects loop to that!

Comment

No amp should be made without an effects loop. It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            No amp should be made without an effects loop. It just doesn't make sense.

I agree..pretty standard and essential these days..I think!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Purpose of the Avenger is to be a single channel, stripped down, "inexpensive" (compared to the SLO) amp with the Soldano tone. Think of it as the "entry level" SLO.

Comment

They sell it saying that it has a "purer" tone since it lacks the "tone-sucking" circuitry of a multi-channel and effects-loop-loaded amp, is this really true ?

Comment

I think the lack of the loop or multiple channels makes it a more straight forward design. Naturally, when you begin to add more features it will alter the original "tone" of an amp. We'll never really know if the effects loop or multiple channels change the tone as Michael Soldano will never make a multiple channel Avenger or an Avenger with a loop. If you want those features then get the SLO.

Just like people talking about how the VHT Deliverence needs a loop or multiple channels, the amp is designed to be a straight forward single channel amp without a loop.

Comment

What about adding effects through the board by miking it?

I have an Avenger and I love it. The tone is to die for IMO... seriously. The lack of bells and whistles is a bit of a let down yes, but I don't care. That damn amp sounds so good... It puts a smile on my face everytime I so much as hit a chord.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                      What about adding effects through the board by miking it?

I have an Avenger and I love it. The tone is to die for IMO... seriously. The lack of bells and whistles is a bit of a let down yes, but I don't care. That damn amp sounds so good... It puts a smile on my face everytime I so much as hit a chord.
                      Better yet... Wet/Dry rig. Avenger -> (1) Cabinet 1 | (2) Hotplate Line out -> Effects -> Power Amp -> Cabinet 2

Comment

Working...
                      X