just got a DSL 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got a DSL 100

so i traded that boogie Mark III for a DSL 100. i know some of you would never consider that a fair trade. but the Mesa was a Red stripe and just didn't have the sound i was looking for. i thought it was a far cry from my Blue stripe i had a few years ago. and it needed new tubes and a good servicing of which i'm in no finacial position to take care of anytime soon.

so i went to Sam Ashe and traded it straight up for a slightly used DSL. its just something about the marshall tone that sounds so good to me. it just seems to perfectly fall into place mix wise with a band. with the masa i'd have to tweak for weeks just to hear all the frequencies i'd want to hear in the mix. and with the marshall, no matter how i tweak it, it cuts right through and i can taylor its sound in the mix rather easily.

maybe i'm just sick of active tone controls. you know, so much of this one negates that one, and multiple volume points like, should i add more input volume, more lead volume, or more master volume. i don't know... i always just spent too much time adjusting knobs instead of jamming the songs. and never being truly happy with my tone.

so i've converted to marshall. and besides, all the music that i enjoy listening to these days is marshall based. i don't like CHugga Chugga, "i'm rough and tough and jump up and down". attitude metal just annoys the shit out of me. when someone tells me a band is "heavy" i automatically recoil inside and don't even want to give them a listen.

don't get me wrong i like mesa and many other amps out there and can get a useable sound out of almost any of them. but i'm much happier now.

i guess metal has outgrown ME. all the stuff i like is no longer considered metal by the kids today. they call it hard rock now. well... i can live with that. lets go "Hot Rokkin".
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

i feel ya, bro!! i used my marshall halfstack for rehearsal last night for a change, and at first i hated it.....BUT, once it warmed up, the tone was awesome!!! i certainly prefer the sound of HOT EL34 tubes over 6L6s. i gave up on "metal" tones years ago and stay firmly in the "rock" realm these days. my rivera's will ALWAYS be my first amp of choice, but the marshall sound CAN be a great one!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
      so i've converted to marshall. and besides, all the music that i enjoy listening to these days is marshall based. i don't like CHugga Chugga, "i'm rough and tough and jump up and down". attitude metal just annoys the shit out of me. when someone tells me a band is "heavy" i automatically recoil inside and don't even want to give them a listen.

don't get me wrong i like mesa and many other amps out there and can get a useable sound out of almost any of them. but i'm much happier now.

i guess metal has outgrown ME. all the stuff i like is no longer considered metal by the kids today. they call it hard rock now. well... i can live with that. lets go "Hot Rokkin".
      Hmmm...

I went the opposite way. I hated Mesa - ALOT. Nothing but Marshall or "Marshall-esque" -- Soldano. Now I have a Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb head, and couldn't be happier. I like it ALOT better than my DSL 50 head I had a few years ago. I just had a very difficult time finding a sound that made the hair on my balls dance. The Mesa is a much better amp all around I think - but that's just what I think.

Like you, I don't like the "Chugga-jump" shit either - which of course is the sound Mesa practically pantented. We have similar thoughts on that. 80's tones are all I'm interested, well...other than whatever Jerry Cantrell is doing... Mesa's are not easy amps to love, but it's there... Yes, Mesa's take time to "get there", but once you find it...

What really surprises me is that you can't find a good useable crunch tone from the MkIII. That is one of the more versatile amps out there - well, along with the MkIV of course. I get some great crunch tones out of my Rect-O-Verb - I'm very happy with it to the degree I never was with Marshall. the only other amp I had that came close (beyond modelers) was my Yamaha T-50 & T-100C amps - the Soldano-designed ones.

I hope you will find your sound with the Marshall though, and that you don't regret that decision. Best of luck, and glad you are happy with what you've found. (But I think you got taken on that trade...)

Comment

so i traded that boogie Mark III for a DSL 100. i know some of you would never consider that a fair trade. but the Mesa was a Red stripe and just didn't have the sound i was looking for. i thought it was a far cry from my Blue stripe i had a few years ago. and it needed new tubes and a good servicing of which i'm in no finacial position to take care of anytime soon.

so i went to Sam Ashe and traded it straight up for a slightly used DSL. its just something about the marshall tone that sounds so good to me. it just seems to perfectly fall into place mix wise with a band. with the masa i'd have to tweak for weeks just to hear all the frequencies i'd want to hear in the mix. and with the marshall, no matter how i tweak it, it cuts right through and i can taylor its sound in the mix rather easily.

maybe i'm just sick of active tone controls. you know, so much of this one negates that one, and multiple volume points like, should i add more input volume, more lead volume, or more master volume. i don't know... i always just spent too much time adjusting knobs instead of jamming the songs. and never being truly happy with my tone.

Amen, DR. With you on everything you said. The Mark Series are the only Mesas I'd even consider, but I love a nice Marshall (or these days, Laney AOR) tone. I hate the "badder than the rest of you" mentality. Same stupid mentality as rap, if you ask me.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I like my Dual Rec, but I also recently picked up a DSL (50 watt), and I think it sounds great. It is a little on the thin side, but it has that Marshall tone that no other amp can reproduce.

Comment

lets go "Hot Rokkin".
            I can never do that again now that we all know a bit more about Mr. Halford!

Comment

i loved my mark III blue stripe i hade a few years back. should never have sold it.
              but the one i just got ride of was a red stripe and it just didn't have the balls that the later blue strip had. it also needed new tubes and had a weaker power transformer than the later blue and green stripes that turned into the mark IV.
              i could send it to boogie and get it modded to a blue stripe but that would run me over $400. and i'm in a crunch right now.

so it really was just a good excuse to get a marshall.
              ...and its delivering the goods
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

my MK III 300 has an excellent crunch tone
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I was never a Mark series guy...what is truly the difference between all of the different color "stripes" referred to when talking about these amps?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                    Yeah, really. Seriously, looking back at the Hot Rockin' video, though, it shoulda been obvious to us ALL! The gym scenes, to shower scenes! Yikes!
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have a DSL100 sitting right next to me. I think its great. My bandmate wants me to sell it so I am but if I needed it.. I would keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                        Yeah, I thought that for a while, you can put me in the homophobe camp...
                        But on the other hand, I really get irritated at celebrities and their inane political opinions. Still watch their movies and enjoy the tunes...

So I came back, I still like Priest, in spite of it all.

Never saw the video. Thanks for the warning.

Comment

Alright! Way to go!

Comment

That's smokin hot!

Comment

I always was a minority here, but I really like my TSL....

Comment

Working...
                              X