Marshall JCM 800 2203 vs 2203KK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800 2203 vs 2203KK

Anyone here have the 2203KK- Kerry King model to compare to the regular 2203? I do know the 2203 has EL34`s and the 2203KK has KT88`s. I have no clue what KT88`s sound like? The 2203KK has some cool features and $400 less money than the 2203. That is kinda weird considering the KK has more features than the regular 2203, but is basically the same amp

Thanks-Jack.

There is a video I think in the marshall site or in youtube explainig it... the extra features seem preaty nice.. I would get it if I had the chance.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Comment

i could be wrong but KT-88's have more of a 6L6 sound. much like the ZW head with 6550's. tighter, & more bottom end, with more headroom. not as much mids & smooth break up as EL34's. I prefer 6L6's for the better bass response & low end chunk, that el34's just dont have. the few EL34 heads ive had, were all modded for 6L6s as soon as i got them.

Comment

Good stuff fellas!! I am just a little worried about doing 80`s thrash metal with KT88`s. Can they cop that Death, Testament, Metallica tone from that era or were they using EL34`s?

Jack

Comment

so you were worried about the KERRY KING SIGNATURE AMP not being able to do 80s thrash metal?

well, i guess if your definition of 80s thrash metal ends with death (which doesn't really count as thrash but well, you said so) testament and metallica you better go buy a mesa boogie. death pretty much always used marshall valvestate amps which don't have too much in common with jcm800 series as far as i am concerned, metallica=mesa boogie except for the first two records (if you're talking about RTL era then go for the marshall of course...that's pretty much the only decent sounding marshall record in the entire metallica catalogue ), and while testament/skolnick really loved the ada mp1->marshall setup, that's mainly what you hear for leads. except for the very first record, most of the rhythm stuff was a mesa boogie of some sort - i think early records featured the mark series, later ones the rectifiers.

but then again, if you really wanted to have that 80's *marshall* thrash tone, why don't you search for an old jcm800 from the early 80s - ebay's your friend here. the early ones have 6550 tubes which are similar to the KT88s IIRC, even though the more popular EL34 versions still have enough punch to rip your balls off.

Comment

Good info Fragle. I am going to take one of my guitars out and jam on these buggers some

Jack

Comment

How about a picture:

$1899 at MF Shipped

Any Marshall dealers on here? I would rather deal with you fellas!!

Thanks-Jack

Comment

I'd look for an older JCM 800 2203 or 2204. They don't make them they way they used to....build quality/reliability isnt what is was at Marshall today. For me 6550's kick MAJOR ass in my 2203 and woukd never change to EL34's
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                  I'd look for an older JCM 800 2203 or 2204. They don't make them they way they used to....build quality/reliability isnt what is was at Marshall today. For me 6550's kick MAJOR ass in my 2203 and woukd never change to EL34's
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                  X