Pawn shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn shop find

Came home with a 1974 Gibson G-55 amp.1X12 eminence speaker.In and out of phase control, killer reverb, mid bass and treble control.This is Gibsons early foray into solid state amps.Its got a crystal clear clean channel.Lots of vintage vibe going on.
    Just needs a good cleaning now so time to get to it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

how much you get it for

sounds pretty cool
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

$130.00.The price guide says $275.00- $325.00.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        $130.00.The price guide says $275.00- $325.00.
        That sounds like a really good price. My first tube amp (yeah right - it had a transistor front end - I was a newbie and got taken) was a Peavey Classic VTX. It had lots of cool stuff like that, phaser that could be used as a comb filter, reverb, etc. I liked the tone a lot, but like I said, I was a newbie and was moving up from a GC-25 Gorilla amp with a tiny 8" into a 2x12 with two 6L6's. I always keep an eye out for the Classic VTX, and see them cheap (like $199 at GC, and you can talk them down).

But better scores were a Kalamazoo Model 12 (12AX7's and 2 EL84's) for $200 OTD. Reverb, Trem. Very clean, but if I hit it with an LP loaded with a 500T, OMG it's a full on early AC/DC tone. I also got a Laney AOR 50 combo for $230 OTD, but that think is massive and heavy. I wish it was the AOR 30 with a pair of 6V6's.

Good luck with the amp.

Comment

I had a Kalamzoo 2x12 combo and a Gibson 2x12 combo with EL84s back in the 70s as a live rig one on each side of the stage.Guitar at the time was a 65 Gibson Trini Lopez 335 with PAFs.Wish I had kept the Gibby.

Comment

Working...
          X