Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-amp/ Power Amp combinations

Hey guys,
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I figured that maybe some people can share their insight as I'm very new to all of this. But, recently, I have been just reading about rackmount rigs, mainly per-amp /power amp combinations. I see every company; mesa, engl, marshall,VHT, etc. all have pre-amp and power amps that you can rackmount in rigs, however, I just have no clue as to what works and what doesnt. Right now I have a marshall TSL-100 w/ a 1960 A slanted cab, and I use various guitars from my beloved RR1 to an Ibanez Jem7vwh, RG770DX, and RB10BK. I've had my marshall for a few years now, I got it on a whim and it's been a great amp, but sometimes you need a switch or are looking for a different tone. I also use various stompboxes, i.e. Boss MT-2, DS-1, etc. I play heavy metal, a lot of lower-tuned playing but tend to switch back to standard a lot as well. I mostly play overdriven tones but also cleans a lot at times as well so both aspects are important to me. I guess what I try and look for is an over-the-top kind of distortion but having that sort of 'liquid smooth' type of definition and feel.
    I was hoping some of you guys could possibly share a little bit of insight to what sort of pre-amps/power amp combos and other gear you could use to maybe achieve some sort of sound, or what you use to get your kind of sound (whether it be same brand pre-amp and power-amps or if you have mixed em). I hear a lot about the Mesa Triaxis/Simul Class 2/90 i believe? and I don't know if you guys mix brands like, could you get a marshall pre and pair it with a mesa power amp? Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm just very new to all of this and you guys seem like you know what you're talking about when it comes to this stuff! Any info to help me begin my long journey of research and trial and error with the stuff would be greatly appreciated...it can be overwhelming at times. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 08-28-2007, 12:40 AM.

I'm going to suggest a fairly inexpensive all-tube setup that has worked great for me: Peavey Rock Master (or Rockmaster) tube preamp and Carvin T100 or TS100 tube power amp. The Peaveys can be found on eBay all the time and are quite affordable. I have an old T100 power amp and love it for recording, but the newer TS100 is still in production and lets you swap between EL34 and 6L6 tubes. Old Peavey Classic power amps are even cheaper.

You can match any preamp and power amp though. In addition to the Rockmaster, I also use an old ART DST-4 solid state preamp with built-in effects, and can A/B switch between the two preamps. Rack gear can be found used for very cheap, so you really could build an awesome rig for very little money. And of course you could tie some of it in with your Marshall head if you wanted to.
    sigpic

Comment

You might want to consider Line 6 stuff matched with a good quality SS or tube poweramp. I used that combo for years with great results (I think anyway...).

Comment

I've been using a Sansamp PSA-1 preamp with a Mesa Simul 2:90 for about 5 years now and love it. The Sansamp is midi controlled giving you around 50 user preset locations. Everything from heavy crunch to mild overdrive to clean, you can have it all-very very flexible. It also sounds great run through VHT power amps as well. Not saying this is the best rig out there but I'm very happy with it! The new PSA-1.1 is going for around $600-$700 but you can usually pick up a used PSA-1 for around $300-$400.

Comment

There's always the ADA MP-1, and many mods if the stock sound doesn't cover enough territory.
          sigpic

Comment

I run an ADA MP-1 through a VHT 2/90/2 and it is very versatile.

Comment

Since I did mostly cover stuff I ran a Rocktron Chameleon through a Rocktron Velocity 300 amp. Once doing the orinal route I found that the Chameleon still did a great job.
              My Toys:
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
              '94 Dinky HX in Black
              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

ive got a Peavey Rockmaster and a Sansamp PSA-1 and run them through a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp. all together the whole rig cost $485 (160 for the Rockmaster, 125 for the PSA...yes i got a STEAL on it, and 200 for the Classic 120).
                be quick though...the Rockmasters are going up in price because people are finding out they are great. PSA's are pretty normally around 300, unless you find an outrageous deal like i did. and the Peavey poweramps are reasonable for certain models (mine isnt a stereo poweramp but i dont need one anyways! LOL)

good luck...there are a lot of deals to be had. just gotta look
                My metal band Lucian Scott
                Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                Available Now!
                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I am using a Peavey Classic 120/120 power amp with an Engl E530 preamp. The Engl is extremely easy to dial in and the Peavey power amps are true workhorses. Every dotes on the VHT 2:50 and 2:90, but save yourself a few hundred bucks. Here's a recent clip of the Engl/Peavey combo with my trusty RR1 (my second attempt at recording live guitars so cut me some friggin slack):

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/90...c_EnglE503.mp3

Comment

A great rack mount power amp is the VHT 2/90/2 in stereo
                    2 rack space. Amazing and super tight, and just crystal clear.
                    I run mine thru an old ADA MP-1 and a Boss GT-8 for effects.
                    Get that Shark Island, Skid Row, and Michael Landau tone
                    out of this combo!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      A great rack mount power amp is the VHT 2/90/2 in stereo
                      2 rack space. Amazing and super tight, and just crystal clear.
                      I run mine thru an old ADA MP-1 and a Boss GT-8 for effects.
                      Get that Shark Island, Skid Row, and Michael Landau tone
                      out of this combo!
                      +1 I also run a Sansamp PSA-1 through this power amp. I also have another rig with a Mesa Triaxis through a Mesa 2:100 amp. Both use BBE Sound Maximizers. (Essential! ) For effects, I have a G-Major in the VHT rig and a Rocktron effects in the Mesa rig. My favorite amp is the VHT. I just like the tone of those KT88 power tubes!
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

a lot of the pros use the marshall 100/100 power amp. with whatever pre amp makes them happy. when i saw helloween they had mesa triaxis pre's with marshall power. and they sounded amazing.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                        X