Time For An Overhaul...Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For An Overhaul...Suggestions?

Ok, been stagnant for a while with amps, time for a new one.

Seriously considering the Marshall Vintage Modern and the new EVH III.

Anything i'm overlooking?

Looking for that classic 80's XYZ, Ratt, Aldrich sound...

Heh, thought you were talking about an overhaul of the JCF!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hiwatt? Marshall JVM maybe? Or one of the Randall modular amps? I never thought of myself as a Randall fan, but a buddy of mine has a dozen or so of the different preamp modules and they can get just about any tone . . . without those pesky digital models.
      sigpic

Comment

I played a vintage modern Marshall, thought it sounded like owl poop. My choice...

Randall RM100 head - three slots for modules, PICK YOUR OWN CHANNELS. Get tired of how a channel sounds, get another module, trade off your old one. Just about every module has it's own fan of that tone, or someone who wants to try it out, so you can't really get 'stuck' with any. Except maybe the clean module, avoid it. Keep swapping until you have your amp set up exactly how you want it. Also, the RM100 allows you bias each tube individually - run everything from KT88s to EL34s to 6L6s to 6V6s to 6550s - or if you want to go nuts, run a pair of KT88s with a pair of EL34s, or any pair combo above. All the bias controls are on the outside of the chassis, if you have a $15 radio shack multimeter and a 50 cent screwdriver, you can set your own bias. Amp has a tube driven fx loop - series and parallel. Power amp has depth and presence controls. Only bad thing is that it is VERY heavy, and you'll be tempted to own a lot of modules. Cool thing is, you'll have the equivalent of a custom voiced three channel amp.

What I dig is the flexibility - if you want three clean channels, then you can do it. Or if you want a Vox AC30 channel 1, recto channel 2, XTC channel 3... no problem. Plexi channel 1, modded super lead 2, Ultra XL (sounds like a 5150 to my ears) channel 3? Bingo.

Plus there are some guys who custom modify the modules to your taste. Modesty forbids me from stating who.

Comment

Are we talking tube-only? If so...

Peavey JSX

Mesa Dual Rec Solo

Comment

Laney AOR series for Ratt. And the nice thing is it won't cost you an arm and a leg. Usually around $300 for a head.

Comment

As Pete said, the Randall RM100 is a great choice and they're reasonably priced. The modules are addicting and I'm now getting some modded by Pete besides collecting the stock ones

Rudy
              www.wickedrocks.com
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Enough on the Vintage Modern rap! There is a beast of an amp lurking in there, ya just gotta know how to let it out! Reminds me of what everyone said about the 2203, when it first came out, universally people said it was buzzy and sounded like crap! Used to be able to get one for $450! But now they are the bees knees! The Vintage Modern is a good choice for what you are looking for. Plus, its really like having 3 amps! You got your vintage Marshall in the Low Dynamic, and you get JCM 800 in the High Range. Just an incredibly versatile amp, especially if you have some good boost pedals.

Comment

If you can find one, try a Mesa Boogie Stiletto. I also think the Rivera M/S series can do a pretty darn good '80's rock tone, too. If you test either amp, try to find some sample settings on the net. Both amps offer so many tonal options that you might miss some tones that you'd like if you don't have a few samples in mind.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

i'm selling everything for a Vintage Modern. tried it out last week, can't stop obsessing about it.

please go to the classifieds and buy my stuff!!!
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Splawn Quickrod. Ralph, you're probably close enough to cruise over to his shop for a road trip.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

can't go wrong with the Splawn stuff. 5153 or a QuickRod should do ya right.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've yet to play one but everyone that has who knows me tells me that the Quick-Rod is the amp that I need.

I spent some time a few weeks back with a 5150III...it may be the best high gain amp that I've ever played (and I've owned numerous Marshalls, a Fender Tone Master, Bogner Ectascy, Mesa Stiletto Duece 1st gen, 5150, Groove Tubes Solo 75, Laney AOR100, and others). Each channel is like a different amp and the individual presence controls really let you dial in your sound. Don't buy anything until you try one out.

Comment

Well, after much research and consideration I am probably going to order a new Cameron CCV-100. I have always thought Doug Aldrich's tone has been the best i've ever heard both on record and live and he play's Cameron modified Marshalls. With Mark coming out with the CCV, and after hearing clips of it and reviews stating that there is no bad Cameron modded amp in existence, I will order the Cameron and wait till mid-December (ouch) to get one!!!

Comment

you know, doug just switched over the the Vintage Modern.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X