No announcement yet.

Line 6 confirms rumor ,yea baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe the tube experts here can correct me, but aren't 6L6 tubes know for their cleans, not their distorted tones?

and is the majority of the distortion coming from the modeler, the preamp tubes, or the powertubes?

i think i rather have some EL34s on full crank for a thick tube distortion.

Comment

I think it would operate more as a clean poweramp than anything else, since the distortion in this case is created almost exclusively in the preamp, although their claim that one of the preamp tubes is a "cascading gain stage" leads me to believe that not ALL of the distortion is generated byt the "Spider" portion of the amp.

With that said, Mesa Rec's use 6L6's for the most part, and there is no shortage of distortion there.

I'm in NO WAY any kind of tube amp expert though, so I could be talking out of my ass. Pete might be able to chime in here if he understands better how this amp really works. Line 6 calls it a "pure tube amp", but I still see it as a hybrid. It's the next step in the evolution of the Vox/Marshall Valvestate amp style.

But FWIW, I'm all over this thing when it hits the street.

Comment

I see it as Vox/Valvestate done right, personally.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by data187 View Post
          maybe the tube experts here can correct me, but aren't 6L6 tubes know for their cleans, not their distorted tones?
          I think that's a big misconception. Peavey XXX and 6505's for example have 6L6's. There's tons of distortion and not very good cleans.
          and is the majority of the distortion coming from the modeler, the preamp tubes, or the powertubes?
          Are you asking about these spidervalves in specific or tube amps in general? In general, a good tube amp will generate distortion both at preamp and poweramp stage. But more at the preamp side. That's why majority of tube amps sound awesome when cranked. Something SS still has limitations. Only when cranked does the power stage kick in. But majority of peavey amps generate almost all their distortion in the preamp stage. For example the 5150 and XXX. That is why those amps sound good even at very low volumes. I used to have the post-gain at hardly 1 when the amp would just sing with saturated distortion tones.

i think i rather have some EL34s on full crank for a thick tube distortion.
          That is just personal preference IMO.
          Sam

Comment

Working...
          X