Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vox Valvetronix choices? AD or DA, 15 or 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Valvetronix choices? AD or DA, 15 or 30?

I tried a DA15 today and I was very impressed. These are the models without the valve in. It sounded pretty good. I didn't get to try the AD15 though. Is it that much better?

Also, how do they take pedals? A lot of my sound is on my pedalboard and since these amps are only two channels (possibly three with the footswitch no?)

The way I see it, it'd be the amp for maybe 2 high gain tones, then all my other tones from a clean amp model and using my pedals.

I never tried the DA, im on my 2nd Vox Valvetronix combo. I had a AD30VT for couple months and loved it (they do really sound like a tube amp, No BS) and today just traded in for the new High-Gain "XL" series and the thing rips.
    Def try the AD15 and youll know what im talking about.(tube tone) You might want to try out the "XL" if your style reflects that.
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

The Valvetronix ADxx combos sound very good. Very tube-like and dynamic. I had an AD60VT which I really liked, but unfortunately it developed problems after about 4 months and couldn't be repaired. Sadly they stopped making that model so I am not going to replace it.

The new XL series have more aggressive amp models for heavier sound and also upgraded speaker sizes compared to the older chrome series in the AD15 and AD30. So I would go for the XL versions and not the chrome ones. The new ones have a black metal grille compared to the older ones' chrome grille, so it's easy to tell them apart.
      Last edited by cbope; 09-02-2007, 04:14 AM.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

+1 for the AD30VT. Outstanding lil' amp with killer tone!! I'd really like to try the XL series. I might pick one up for my son whose putting a band together and needs something portable vs. his halfstack. How is the clean channel on the XL?
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
          +1 for the AD30VT. Outstanding lil' amp with killer tone!! I'd really like to try the XL series. I might pick one up for my son whose putting a band together and needs something portable vs. his halfstack. How is the clean channel on the XL?
          I believe the cleans are the same in all the VT models, only the hi-gain models are changed/improved in the XL series. I was very pleased with the cleans in my AD60VT, before it gave up the ghost.
          My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
            I tried a DA15 today and I was very impressed. These are the models without the valve in. It sounded pretty good. I didn't get to try the AD15 though. Is it that much better?

Also, how do they take pedals? A lot of my sound is on my pedalboard and since these amps are only two channels (possibly three with the footswitch no?)

The way I see it, it'd be the amp for maybe 2 high gain tones, then all my other tones from a clean amp model and using my pedals.
            I had an AD50VT and the footswitch can be set up in two different ways.

A) 1 switches channels, 2 toggles effects
            B) 1 switches channels, 2 toggles manual mode

Option B gives you an effective three channels but then you lose your ability to toggle effects.
            Scott

Comment

I NEVER use effects. I don't use any modulation except a phaser pedal basically. Maybe a bit of reverb and compression sometimes. Certainly never chorus or delay.

Comment

Working...
              X