No announcement yet.

Who has a Rivera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There´s a factory gain mod? Hmm, that could explain why I think people are crazy when they talk about the supposed lack of gain in the K-series... other than that people really are crazy, that is. Is there any way to tell if mine has it? I know it hasn´t been modded by anyone else, but maybe it was ordered that way... hmm...

I´ve only heard great stuff about the K-Tre, and it probably packs a ferocious punch, but I´m somehow a bit put off by how it´s marketed... and used mostly, as well. How does it perform at gain levels below warp speed 9? I mean, I´m in no need of more gain than what it takes to get my hair metal leads off the ground... so a 2203 slammed hard with a Tubescreamer is basically enough gain for me.

Comment

Dave,
      The basic K-55 & K-100 were modeled after a Fender Clean channel and a cranked out Marshall in the lead channel.
      The reason I knew my K-55 was modded was that on the ser# plate on the back of the amp it read "K-55M".
      I caled Paul Rivera and he told it was a factory mode for a bit more gain.
      Still... for my taste it was still tame. It reminded me of a JCM800. For real.

The KHR series came as a blend of a Bonehead (with gobs of knobs & 3-channels) and a Knucklehead. Lots of gain but we wanted more.

The KII came out with even more gain. All Ks still had that Rivera 3D crystal clear channel and the gain channel.

The KTRE came in with ridiculous amounts of gain and tons of bottom end. Rivera's answer to the Uber (excuse me Bill). The KTRE came out with gain as an option for those who want their Verb.
      The gain on the TRE is very controllable. I took it into the studio a few weeks back and played everything from Doobie Bros to Dream Theater stuff. At the end everyone was comenting on how awesome my rig sounded and how cool the tone was.

I am very happy with my Riveras.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Thanks, Joe... nice to hear that the K-Tre isn´t just an all-out assault weapon, but can use its power for more classic stuff as well. I´ll definitely look into it.

What´s the deal with the Mick Thomson KR-7, by the way? It says on the website that it´s "officially released", but there isn´t any info or pics. Can´t remember ever seeing it, either. If we can classify that as well, we have the entire Knucklehead line under wraps.
        Last edited by Dave L; 09-06-2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Cool Joe, The KTRE sounds VERY interesting!! I will test drive one on sight...If that ever happends. We just have a Guitar Center here. My cuz moved his store to BFE (1 hour drive). His "high end" stuff is mainly Peavey...but he gets stuff in all the time.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey thanks guys, I've learned a lot already.

Now I need to figure out where I can buy one, and what they cost. I can't seem to find anyone that lists pricing.

Anyone have any clue?
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

i paid $2000.00 out the door for my KHR100 when they first came out. that was with the midi controller. i am not sure what they cost now. i believe all the knuckleheads are in the 1400-2000 price range, discounted. could be wrong. joe has bought more new ones than i have. i am an OLD rivera customer....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I´ve gotten the feeling that Riveras are somewhat affordable for being as good as they are, over there in the US. Here in Sweden, and I guess in Europe in general, they are quite expensive... like everything manufactured in the US. But on the other hand I´ve been extremely lucky on my two second hand deals due to the fact that noone knows about Riveras. Someone ate a huge loss on both my two, that´s for sure.

Now when I think about it I actually don´t think I´ll be buying US-made amps from now on, if I ever buy more. The upcharges stuff gets hit with when entering the EU is pretty serious, so I´ll probably shop european unless another sweet deal on a used american piece comes along. But I guess it´s the same for you guys in the states with european gear, no? Is, say... a Diezel Einstein more expensive than a Knucklehead over there? Here they´re cheaper.

Sorry for the brief hijack, we´ll now return to our scheduled program - Riveras!

Comment

Diezels are one of the most expensive amps you can get over here.

Comment

I figured about as much. To continue with the Einstein comparison a while longer, it´s slightly cheaper than a Mesa Single Recto here. The Herbert and VH4 are both within a hundred euros of a Mesa Roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                      I figured about as much. To continue with the Einstein comparison a while longer, it´s slightly cheaper than a Mesa Single Recto here. The Herbert and VH4 are both within a hundred euros of a Mesa Roadster.
                      No kidding? Over here, a Herbert will run you about double the price of the Mesa.

Comment

All prices from the same german store:
                        Einstein 100 - 1840 euros
                        Herbert - 2999 euros
                        VH4 - 2790
                        Single Recto Solo 50 - 1955 euros
                        Roadster - 2899 euros

A Roadking comes in at a whopping 4299 euros!

Comment

I tried a Tre a couple weeks ago and I thought it was buzzy as all hell. It was very unforgiving for leads. The Bogner Shiva next to it was more to my taste for leads and cleans.
                          Oh yeah. They had a tre with verb and 1 without. He said they just came in and the 1 with verb wouldn't power up at all. Said that was a first for them, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
                          Last edited by MEX3; 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM.

Comment

my old riveras are VERY unforgiving. you better be on your game or you are gonna sound BAD.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                              my old riveras are VERY unforgiving. you better be on your game or you are gonna sound BAD.
                              I prefer that actually. I don't like amps that cover up your mistakes. I figure if they hide your mistakes, then they also hide the nuances in your playing too. In other words, they take away any personality and style. Also, what better way to keep from getting sloppy and lazy.

Comment

i agree!!! i have had MANY guys play my rig (guitars and amps) and are blown away at how it "feels" and sounds. from the guitars (high action, low-output pickups) to the amp (moderate gain levels but nice sustain), my tone is very unique and most guys think they are gonna grab my stuff and be all "chugga-chugga, weedley-wee" and it doesn't work!!! it CAN be done on a rivera, but you are gonna WORK for it!!!
                                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                                X