Who has a Rivera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a Rivera?

Yeah, so I've been yacking on and on about different amps, and thought I had settled on an Uberschall. I haven't bought anything yet, so I'm keeping my options open.

I've been told before that the Knucklehead is not a high gain amp. Then, I heard that it can do metal. Well, which is it? I've never heard a Rivera, or played through one, so I need some comparisons. Grainy midrange Marshall sound, thick bottomed Mesa sound, what are we talking here?

I don't need ridiculous amounts of gain. We do Sabbath/COC/AIC/Godsmack, etc, plus originals, so as long as it's gonna cover that ground, I'm good.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Well, according to their website, Adam Jones used the Knucklehead on the last Tool album, and Mick Thompson from Slipknot has a sig model.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I played one awhile ago Zeegs..that was some time ago...but I wasn't "moved" whatsoever...it's alright.

I had more "fun" playing a Crate BV120 with a BBE 462 at Guitar Center, shortly afterwards..I use that reference because you have/had one.

But you know my style..so
      Last edited by horns666; 09-06-2007, 02:49 PM.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

MarkD should be around shortly as he's the boards Rivera user and probably has the most knowledge on them...he has a few of them ...I think M-100's. They also intrugue me as some of them have prestine clean channels along as well as drive channel.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have two Riveras, a TBR1 from 1987 and a nineties Knucklehead.

The old non-reverb Knuckleheads, like the one I have, are less metal-aggressive than the newer versions. They´re more geared towards heavy rock, but I believe they will handle what you are looking for. It´s ridiculous to say, even about the old ones, that they´re not high gain.

If you get one of the Knuckleheads of today they´re designed for metal, as one might imagine when looking at the roster of guys they worked with in tweaking them.

I´ve always thought of my old KH as having grainy midrange Marshall-esque tone with a bigger bottom, and from what I´ve heard the new ones are the same but on all kinds of steroids... more gain, more bottom.

Comment

I'd prolly like the new ones..I assume.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When I teched James used Rivera. Actually both guitarists were using them. Just through Diezel cabs. I got to know the KH Trey pretty well. I think it's a fine head that is capable of ripping your face off. Not mid-rangey at all. Great low end. The things took a beating and kept on going. Perfectly capable of doing the bands you mentioned...

The clean channel was OK. Nothing really to write home about but thats not really what that amp is about. But it sounded decent...

Then he went to Orange... And... Well...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I think you would, everyone seems to love the K-Tre for modern metal.

Comment

hahaha, yeah, i swear by them...

the old knuckleheads are stripped down versions of the M/S pro series. the a two channel amps, one fender-esque, the other hot-rodded marshall.

the new knuckleheads (the KHR or KH tre) are more in the realm of modern high gain amps. over the top and SUPER loud. i actually sold my KHR100 because it was too much. that would be the amp if you want a "metal" tone.

the older models like i, and dave L use, are more hot-rodded marshall/vintage metal tone amps. rivera has kept up with the times and offers "metal" amps in the knucklehead line. if the knucklehead amp looks like a small head with the controls toward the handle of the head (fender-style) then it is an old one. if it set up more like a marshall, with controls toward the bottom of the head, and has a silver metal grille, it is a new knucklehead.

hope that helps.....
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

While we´re talking, Mark, would you happen to know how the new K100 mk2 fits in the lineup? It kinda looks like the middle brother between the KR100 and the K-Tre in specs, and probably the tone is somewhere between there as well. It´s a bit confusing that they´ve dug up the K prefix instead of the KR again, since it´s one the new super-heavy Knuckleheads, but I guess it simply doesn´t have reverb and they had to go with a mk2 of the K100 even though it´s derived from the KR series.

Comment

dave, i haven't seen any of rivera's new stuff yet. i would assume that you are right about the K100 mk2....i think it is just a stripped down version of the KHR, and your assesment of the monicker seems to make sense as well. the KHR amps have done VERY well, so by offering them with a variety in specs WOULD make sense....

HAHAHAHA, i wish they'd make me a TBR-1SL though.....no luck and everytime they pop up used i am broke!!! oh well, one day.....
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The TBR1-SL is way cool, you´re absolutely right there. But when I got around to trying one it was very similar to my regular TBR1 with a Tubescreamer up front, which basically is how I run it. And my regular one did the classic rock, Keith Scott-esque crunch better, somehow, so I can´t say I´m gassing all that much for a SL as long as I have a regular one and a Tubescreamer.

Comment

I had a K-55 and sold it.
                          Currently own a KHR-55, KTRE w/Verb and a SUB-1 300W.

The KHR-55 & SUB-1 w/Marshall 1936 2X12 is absolutely crushing. A damned jackhammer of a rig.
                          The KTRE is the shit by itself, gain out the rear end and a Rivera clean, nuff said.

Rivera is so smart as far as layout, tone configurations and the fx loop that when you use the FS (for your particular amp) is just so flexible.
                          Unparalleled customer service and tone. What else could you ask for?

Dealer.... I know and have told him that.
                          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, Joe, why did you sell the K-55? Not enough gain and aggressiveness for you?

Checking their website, I´m feeling a sting of GAS for a KR-55... not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, Joe, why did you sell the K-55? Not enough gain and aggressiveness for you?

Checking their website, I´m feeling a sting of GAS for a KR-55... not good.
                              Yes, the K-55 was very loud and felt like a JCM800 with a REAL clean channel. I had the high gain mod (by Rivera) on it. So it really was a K-55M. Great amp, no doubt. Just not for my metal taste.

The KHR is great. Haven't tried the KII. But I tell you the KTRE w/verb is great!!
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                              X