Tube amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp question

If you don't have a guitar plugged into the input of a tube amp and dime all the controls, should you hear any static/low popping?

Yep. That is the nature of the beast. And, yes I have had many tube amps. There will always be leakage. Every fucking part of a tube amp has the ability to make noise. Transfomers, more than meets the eyes, can do it.
    Last edited by fett; 09-08-2007, 03:38 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

So my amp should be normal? I get the static popping from the 2 channels, worse on the high gain, but if I plug a pod or something into the fx return, it is quiet - unless I play.

Comment

A little noise on a tube amp is normal. Does the noise interfer with the actual sound when playing?
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

It just doesn't sound right. I may retube it to see if that resolves the issue, but the amp may need servicing. Thank God for my Vetta.

Comment

Lose tubes maybe?

Comment

Pulled and reseated everything as well as checked the bias. I gotta take it in, I guess.

Comment

Pete, all of my tube amps made noise when everything was dimed out.

Comment

John, when I don't dime it, I still get the static. I maybe need to go to a store and check out "good" tube amps to see if mine is bad. I think it is, but who knows.

Comment

You mean nothing plugged in, all controls low, amp still has static? then there is surely a problem. try plugging in an empty guitar cable (minus guitar) and see if the problem exists. On my 5150, with nothing plugged in, the amp was damn quiet. But if I remember correctly, on the XXX, it used to make some sound with nothing plugged in.
                    Sam

Comment

Try spraying some contact cleaner in the loop jacks. If that doesn't work it is most surely one of your preamp tubes.

Comment

The amp currently has Ruby 6L6's and Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH. Are these good tubes? If not, I'll replace them - I need to find out what the issue is and rather not bring it to a service facility unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

Maybe the static is just the floor noise. When playing thru each preamp, the guitar volume is loud. If I stop playing, the static is there but very low and this is with the master at about 8 oclock.

I think this is why I never messed with tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                            The amp currently has Ruby 6L6's and Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH. Are these good tubes? If not, I'll replace them - I need to find out what the issue is and rather not bring it to a service facility unless absolutely necessary.
                            Its most likely 1 preamp tube Pete. Try swapping them around.

Comment

Well, I replaced all 3 preamp tubes with GT Gold series 12AX7, which was the only thing I could get on short notice. Everything is now quiet - no more static popping at any volume, and the drive channel is really rich and fat now. Thanx to everyone for all your help. Should I keep the old set or buy a less expensive set of AX7's for backup?

John - did you sell your 2x12 Randall cab yet? Need anything - please pm or email me.

Comment

Working...
                              X