Marshall 2203X Modded-Any Good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2203X Modded-Any Good ?

Hi guys, I am thinking about this one. Flying leads and moddified with some goodies. Here is the explanation of the mods:

The Amp has a High Quality Metro Amps JCM 800 2203 Hand Wired Turret Board Kit in it and this was Installed by Jeff Andrews of www.andrewsamplab.com

He then tweaked the Negative Feedback Circuit and the Presence Control Slightly to yield an Extremely quite Amp that will Play a Gorgeous Clean with your guitar volume rolled back and turn into a Fire Breathing Dragon when you roll it back up.

Here are some pics. I think it is only 1-2 years old and hardly played.

What do you guys think with these mods in mind? Good for speed metal and thrash? I know you guys say the newer ones are cheaper, but this looks kinda like and old Marshall inside. Am I only seeing things

Jack

I think the most popular Marshall modification was to use a tube from the tremolo circuit to add an extra gain stage in the preamp.
    Here the mod looks like the printed circuit board (which looks like the green one) has been replaced with a turret board (the red one) where the components are soldered from the top.

Comment

Is that a good or bad thing with this Mod? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

The turret board is popular mod. When I make an amp, I go the turret board method.

The feedback loop can be mod'ed to increase bass, get rid of bad frequencies, etc. by fine tuning which frequencies get fed back (and cancelled).

It might sound good but you'll only find out after you buy it (unless you can try it now). If I bought it and didn't like the tone, I could mod it to get the tone I want.

The only thing is you just won't have very much flexibility (at least that's how it looks). Don't know if that matters. It usually doesn't to me.

Comment

Thanks guys!! The dude want $1200 + shipping for it, but someone said if you are very patient you can get them under $1000, he got his for $800 like new. Whatcha think? I know the mods cost a pretty penny, so take that into consideration. I just don`t want to drop alot of coin on a bad amp, but I do love the tone of a cranked 2203 with either a boost or a distortion pedal

Jack

Comment

serioulsy for 1200 I look at a Splawn QuickRod and I say that only because I never heard of that guys amp modes before

If you played the amp and love it the go for it. Its really a rebuilt amp and probablly built better than a re-issue Marshall
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Good point Shawn!! I can`t play it as he is in GA and me in PA. I am going to have to go to a store and try a 2203X before I leap!!

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                Good point Shawn!! I can`t play it as he is in GA and me in PA. I am going to have to go to a store and try a 2203X before I leap!!

Jack

Playing a 2203X isn't gonna tell you if you are gonna like that modded amp. Only playing it or hearing sound clips of that specific amp will give you an idea. Personally.. I think a Soldano Avenger would be a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                  Thanks guys!! The dude want $1200 + shipping for it, but someone said if you are very patient you can get them under $1000, he got his for $800 like new. Whatcha think? I know the mods cost a pretty penny, so take that into consideration. I just don`t want to drop alot of coin on a bad amp, but I do love the tone of a cranked 2203 with either a boost or a distortion pedal

Jack
                  I'd say don't do it because you are sending a lot of money to a "unknown" amp. If you buy it and don't like the tone.....

If I'm spending that much cash, I'm going to go into a store, try out a bunch of heads and find the one I like, then I'll search for a good deal on one. I'm a bit gun-shy of having a heavy amp shipped - I've seen what UPS can do to these.

Comment

Ya, good points. Alot of coin for the unknown. I am going to have to try a stock one to see if I like the base tone first!!

Thanks-Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X