Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need amp tips for a Charvel Model 6 (looking for balance of good clean + good OD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need amp tips for a Charvel Model 6 (looking for balance of good clean + good OD)

Heya, just getting rid of my Fender frontman 25R (which i used in combination with the Charvel) it got some awesome cleans, but i was looking into a bit more crunch as well. Going from that, I wanted some advice on potential amps that'd work well with this guitar, my budget is around $350CDN (which i suspect would be about $250-300 US in terms of gear value)

first of all, my primary guitar is a Charvel Model 6 with lace sensors (in place of the original jackson stacked single coil size hums) and the stock humbucker. Naturally I used the sensors for a lot of clean work with my fender, but i've been looking to balance that with good solo work as well, which wasn't accommodated too well by the fender amp.

This is what i'm looking for, in terms of priority

1. OD for soloing, i'm thinking like (the OD on my frontman was very noisy and didn't have the best tone for soloing, naturally)

2. good cleans (my fender had excellent cleans, esp. with the lace sensors, doesn't have to be that good but i'd like clean chords etc. come out decent)

3. under $350CDN (around 250-300US) optimally, i could go as high as $400CDN at best

4. Doesn't have to be that loud. I don't expect to play anything more than small shows so it doesnt have to be some 100W monster. My frontman was 25W, and last time i played at a lounge in college (my ideal venue) I didn't have to turn the volume up past 2) just something not so loud that i can play in my room without the walls caving in and something loud enough that it doesnt crack up when i try to play for say a bar of 100-150ish people)

5. this is just me being picky, but something that doesn't weigh too much, my frontman was around 25-30lbs and i carried that baby everywhere. I'm not looking for a microcube, but i'm not looking for giant cab that weighs as much as me either.

I'm also unsure whether I should go for a tube or a SS, I have no experience with tubes, and from what I hear they're high maintenance. any opinions would be helpful.

I know its a bit of a read, but last time I bought my amp i didn't do enough research, and I'm not the most knowledgeable person on amps, so I'm hoping u guys can provide me with some names to go look up + check out. thanks in advance

get a Crate
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

I'd be tempted to look at a Tech21 Trademark 60

That or a Vox Valvetronix AD30? or the bigger one?

Also check out a Marshall VS65 with a 1X12. You might really like it
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

You def need to try a VOX AD30VT (1X10) or AD30VT "XL" (1X12)combo then. I have 2 Strats and a San Dimas and couldnt be happier, they both sound great. I just traded in my AD30VT for the new Hi-Gain "XL"= Xtreme Lead, it sounds Killer.
        Dont forget about the Line 6 combo's too,I had a Spider 2 (75W) before the Vox's.Youll have to go try some out and see what you like yourself.
        Ill pm you a link on the Vox from "Gearwire" . . its a demo on it. http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html
        Last edited by ADR; 09-17-2007, 11:48 AM.
        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Maybe an old Laney? A former bandmate of mine played a stock Model 6 through a late `80s or early `90s Laney tube head (don't remember what model) and it sounded good with no additional hardware.

Personally, I think a Roland Cube (not "Micro") would be worth checking out, or maybe a Peavey TransTube combo of some kind.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
            You def need to try a VOX AD30VT (1X10) or AD30VT "XL" (1X12)combo then. I have 2 Strats and a San Dimas and couldnt be happier, they both sound great. I just traded in my AD30VT for the new Hi-Gain "XL"= Xtreme Lead, it sounds Killer.
            Dont forget about the Line 6 combo's too,I had a Spider 2 (75W) before the Vox's.Youll have to go try some out and see what you like yourself.
            Ill pm you a link on the Vox from "Gearwire" . . its a demo on it. http://www.gearwire.com/vox-ad30-vt.html
            +1, definitely look at the Vox Valvetronix series. If need more aggressive tone, go for the XL version. The XL's also have upgraded speakers compared to the non-XL models (in the AD30VT at least).
            My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

I'd go and try a Vox AD30 either version you Might prefer te normal version due to it ahving more clean channels, I found the XL's to sound rather broing and samey, though I didnt have much time to tweak them...

Wouldnt hurt to check out the Spider III's preferably one of the bigger one's allthough that might be jsut outside of your budget...

Comment

Vox AD30VT all the way, I absolutely love it.
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                X