Totally wire-free setup for $220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally wire-free setup for $220

Thanks again to folks who commented a few weeks ago when I asked about the Freeport.

Background: I wanted to put together a QUIET system to jam through. I live in a densely populated area and sadly "Turning it to 11" is not very neighborly. Add to that I often want to play after my girl hits the sack and there you go.

I also wanted to be COMPLETELY WIRELESS. Why? Why not! Freedom's good.

SO. I bought first Sennheiser RS140 wireless headphones. You can get em on the Bay for $94 factory refurbished, with a warranty. Retail, $400. Going for $140 on Amazon brand new. Look around Ebay- I'm not going to pimp the biz that sold em to me, but the transaction went fine, and if you want to confirm it's the same guys, PM me.

They work wonderfully, are very responsive and frankly sound a hell of alot better than any of the wired phones I own (admittedly, none of them cost as much as these did).

Step II- Sennheiser Freeport instrument wireless for $129 from Musician's Friend. They're UHF & it's also a true diversity system- Very cheap for those two attributes. It also supposedly retails for $400 but obviously they're going brand new for a hell of alot less than that. I don't plan on playing out with it, so around the apartment it's more than robust enough, and I went upstairs and downstairs both with no interference (studio is on the second floor). I'm sure you'd be fine gigging with it, although the transmitter is some sort of plastic material.

I did NOT go out looking to do business with Sennheiser for both- I don't know if they're in a product upgrade cycle or what, but they were by far the most reasonable for the features offered, so that's how it ended up.

VERDICT- Played with it last night. First of all, even though they are on different UHF frequencies I was afraid there may be interference with them sitting next to each other- Negative. Crystal clear. Also sounds every bit as good as when I was wired up completely, if not better (due to the higher quality headphones).

So right now I'm just running it through my PODXT, which I generally have USB'd to my computer- Now I can march around the studio like a maniac, pounding away to whatever backing track I'm practicing over, and make the people in the building across the street wonder what kind of drugs, exactly, I'm on.

So if anyone has ever WANTED to have the option of going relatively silent WITHOUT WIRES, this is a pretty damn cheap route to take, and I can tell you first hand you will be OK with the sound quality. Also if you are looking for a portable rig to take with you, all the equip (PODxt, headphones & wireless) would easily fit in a backpack if you find yourself for an extended period unable to get to an amp.

Vass
    Last edited by Vass; 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM.

Nice little review. I love my wireless headphones, and would be lost without them.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I can second those Sennheiser RS140 headphones, because I ended up getting a few of those for a silent practice space I helped put together for a community center. Some of the wireless headphones I tested really crapped out when you tried to put an entire live band mix thru them but the Sennheisers pulled it off.

The whole set-up actually ended up pretty cool, with digital Yamaha drums, modeling stuff for guitar and bass and what not... but it´s pretty weird when the only thing you hear in the next room over is some kid yelling, though.

Comment

Hey Vass, what's the deal with the compression setting? Does this mean the headphones will color the actual sound? What does it actually do?
        Sam

Comment

Working...
        X