BK Butler Tubeworks amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK Butler Tubeworks amps?

Hey guys, I just picked up an old (presumably) 80s BK Butler designed Tubeworks branded head. It's an RT-2100 head. I understand that the company was eventually bought over by Genz Benz but other than that I haven't really been able to find squat about them on the net.

As for the head itself, it sounds pretty cool, quite a hot-rodded Marshall type of sound. Seems like it'll be a good rock/classic metal amp, but I don't see it doing anything for my modern metal tone leanings, so I'll be keeping my SS Randall around for abit till I can afford something cooler.

Anyway, can anyone help with info about the company and hopefully this particular model?

I have a tube works 4x12 slant cab and its rock solid.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Cool... anyone else?

Comment

the Mosvalve power amps are pretty popular...they sound good and are relatively cheap
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I have owned their MV962 stereo power amp, and a rackmounted version of the head you have. They are solid. Mine goes to every gig as a backup. I've never needed it, but it's nice to know it's there. Tonewise, it's a decent amp but my THD head takes it to the cleaners in all sorts of ways.

The company was affiliated with Genz-Benz, which is owned by Kaman (which owns Kaman Aerospace, Ovation and a few other music companies). It's a solid-state head with a tube preamp. The preamp tubes are hot-glued in place, but you can remove them with some patience and finesse. It also looks like the builders dripped hot glue on interesting parts of the circuit to squash inquiring minds. It's built pretty sturdy.

Comment

Working...
          X