Compressor signal path paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor signal path paradox

When a pedal-based compressor is used, like a Keeley compressor, it is typically placed very early in the signal path (before any distortion boxes, and waaaay before the preamp tubes). Yet, on a rackmount rig, this doesn't seem possible. All the rackmount compressors I have seen take line-level inputs and not instrument-level, so they must live between the preamp and amp, or in the preamp effects loop. Either way, it will come after the preamp tubes. What's the deal? How might you put a rackmount compressor first in the signal chain?

I forgot to mention I am running a Rectifier recording preamp, which does not have a compressor. Any ideas? Don't tell me I need to put a pedal in front of this baby!

Comment

Well, I believe many rackmounted units are switchable between line (-10 dB) and instrument (+4 dB)... like the DBX stuff and what not. I definitely think you´ll be able to find something that fits the bill.

But why not use a pedal if you´re having trouble finding a suitable rackmount?

Comment

Use a pedal. Most rackmount compressors are meant for PAs anyway. Then again, why do you need a guitar compressor? Only time I ever used one was to level out clean lead sounds, and that was when I played country.... haven't really had the need for a compressor pedal, personally.

Pete

Comment

I like a bit of comp on all my clean tones, but that´s because I like those eighties pop cleans. But for any distorted application with higher gain than, say... Eric Johnson, Jay Graydon or Mark Knopfler comp just adds noise. IMHO, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
            Well, I believe many rackmounted units are switchable between line (-10 dB) and instrument (+4 dB)... like the DBX stuff and what not. I definitely think you´ll be able to find something that fits the bill.

But why not use a pedal if you´re having trouble finding a suitable rackmount?
            Thanks for the reply. Actually, both the +4dB and -10dB are line levels, the +4 is professional line level and the -10 is consumer line level. Neither should be used for an instrument. You might get a signal happening with it regardless, but you would have an impedance mismatch in your rig.

Comment

-10 is also pedal level. Impedence is measured in ohms, not db. Not an impedence mismatch, actually a level mismatch.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Thanks for the reply. Actually, both the +4dB and -10dB are line levels, the +4 is professional line level and the -10 is consumer line level.
                Is that so? I´ve actually never tinkered with running instruments directly thru non-guitar rack gear, so I never really gave it much thought. I guess you learn something every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                  -10 is also pedal level. Impedence is measured in ohms, not db. Not an impedence mismatch, actually a level mismatch.

Pete
                  Thanks! But isn't it true that pedals and instruments aren't quite the same? I mean, it seems that pedals are somewhat forgiving, and can take the +4/-10 effect send, or they can take a guitar signal, and be fine. But, I've found that if I plug a guitar into a +4/-10 input and not a true instrument level input, I have issues. Man my head is spinning!

Comment

Working...
                  X