Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good or bad to use a two-channel EQ like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good or bad to use a two-channel EQ like this?

I want to get my old Jackson Apogee 50 2x12 combo retubed and maybe find an inexpensive two-channel EQ, with one side running before the amp's input and the other in the effects loop. I've never tried this before or seen it done, but I always figured that it would be a useful way of getting the most from a minimal setup. I know this amp is capable of a nice Marshall-style tone, but it's not quite beefy enough for the tone I want. I was thinking that I could use one side of the EQ to push the amp's front end a bit (especially if it's a tube EQ) and the other in the loop to fine-tune everything. However, my concern is that I might be inviting some sort of ground loop or other noise issues.

Anyone with experience using an EQ like that?
    sigpic

I've been doing exactly that for a while now. Using a cheap Technics EQ, and splitting it pre/post. It worked so well that I went ahead and placed my Boss OD-1 and Arion stereo delay inside the box. It took care of the mess of wires I had linking it all together, and put 1/4" patches between every stage, plus a dry through. It's really quiet, and the tonal range is great.

Comment

Working...
    X