DOD or DigiTech or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD or DigiTech or ?

Looking for a good distortion pedal for a good price. I think some of these are going for like $40 new but any suggestions? Doesn`t have to be these two companies as i`m open to anything good but for a a decent price.

Maybe i should just ask,what`s the best distortion pedal i can buy for under $60!
    Last edited by Metaled1020; 09-24-2007, 08:30 AM.

FYI, DOD is basically the same as Digitech. DOD = Division of Digitech. I would check out some Boss pedals, an MXR Distortion +, or a used Ibanez TS9. What type of sound are you going for?

Comment

The DOD (now Digitech) Grunge is actually quite good for most metal. In general, I prefer something with a parametric midrange control. The Boss Metal Zone has this, as did the old ART Xtreme and Korg HyperDistortion. The Ibanez Smash Box is pretty decent and has a built-in noise gate. I haven't tried any of the current Rocktron pedals, but they seem pretty affordable on eBay.
      sigpic

Comment

mt2 + mxr or boss eq = distortion heaven

Comment

Just make sure to try the pedal(s) into whatever setup you actually use before you buy them. I've bought two different overdrive/ distortionn DOD pedals that would up sitting unused because they were either too noisy, or too snotty sounding, (square wave), just not usable to me.
          Your ear alone determines what you want.
          Rocktrons and Arions are worth a try, I prefer Boss (SD-1, OD1) more than any of the others, as far as bang for the buck and good sound. And bulletproof, too.

Comment

I have read many times in the near past that even though Digitech bought out DOD and were made the same pedals like the Death Metal pedal at the same time under both names, the DOD was priced cheaper for a reason, it is cheaper quaility. Guys have taken them apart and the Digitech version has better components. So, in effect one is better than the other as far as recent times go. Also, the Digitech named ones had either an extra knob or an extra output or something, but it was one of those.

Jack

Comment

I am going to say that a used ProCo RAT is the best distortion ever.
              I have tried the Boss MT-2 Metalzone, Boss OS-2, Boss HM-2 HeavyMetal, Boss DS-1. Boss HM-3 HyperMetal, and Proco RAT, MXR Distortion+. Not counting overdrives, the RAT was my favorite.

The Boss OS-2 is neat because it's a Boss SD-1 and DS-1 in one pedal. It just sounded off to me when I compared it to the RAT.

Another option is the Line6 DM-4 Distortion Modeler. Has nearly all the pedals I listed simulated and done pretty well. It runs just over $100 and is discontinued.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                I have read many times in the near past that even though Digitech bought out DOD and were made the same pedals like the Death Metal pedal at the same time under both names, the DOD was priced cheaper for a reason, it is cheaper quaility. Guys have taken them apart and the Digitech version has better components. So, in effect one is better than the other as far as recent times go. Also, the Digitech named ones had either an extra knob or an extra output or something, but it was one of those.

Jack
                Digitech didn't buy out DOD... they've always been part of the same company under Harman International Industries.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ooops!! My fault bro I didn`t know that

Jack

Comment

I've always been happy with my Digitech and DOD pedals.

Comment

I've never had a problem with them either. DOD was always known as the "cheaper" pedals and Digitech more of the "high end" rack processors, then they combined them and pretty much did away with most of the DOD line.

Comment

+1 on the ProCo Rat...
                        I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good price on one, myself.
                        I let mine get away from me. Thinking of building one from a kit.
                        I'm going to try a TS9 kit, first, as I have the right components in my toolbox.

I didn't get enough use out my DOD's to break anything on them.

Comment

If the amp you're going thru has decent tone to begin with (and some gain), you can't go wrong with a Digitech Bad Monkey. Least expensive pedal I own that I wouldn't get rid of.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I use a Metal Zone, a Digitech Smash Box, and a Pearl DS06. I also have a DS1 but im not too crazy about it with my amp. The line 6 Ubermetal is a very cool pedal if you want one thing to do alot. Yo just have to turn the little knobs. The TS9 (tube screamer) really doesnt do much with a solid state amp. It's designed to go with a tube amp. So you can overdrive the tubes and make a low gain amp distort. I've also used an older Ibanez Super Metal. Very Proco Rat like but a bit smoother and not as brittle in the high end. Very cool pedal if you can find one. They're starting to get a vintage market on them. Even tho they really arent vintage just yet. The attenti
                            on is there.
                            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                              If the amp you're going thru has decent tone to begin with (and some gain), you can't go wrong with a Digitech Bad Monkey. Least expensive pedal I own that I wouldn't get rid of.
                              +1. I've actually got the older version of the Bad Monkey which is the DOD Juice Box.

Comment

Working...
                              X