Worst amp you ever used live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst amp you ever used live?

Whats the worst stuff you had to play through at a gig? If you look at this pic you can see some of the rig we used that day.

It was a few months back at a battle of the bands half way up the country. We could not carry any amps this far but were assured there would be a decent amp to play through. Yep thats a Fender Frontman practice amp!!!!
    We sounded pretty bad but in the end we won the competition. Here's another picture that shows our onstage manouvers.

Whats the worst amp you've ever had to use at a show?

Gibson GSS 100.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
      Whats the worst stuff you had to play through at a gig? If you look at this pic you can see some of the rig we used that day.

It was a few months back at a battle of the bands half way up the country. We could not carry any amps this far but were assured there would be a decent amp to play through. Yep thats a Fender Frontman practice amp!!!!
      We sounded pretty bad but in the end we won the competition. Here's another picture that shows our onstage manouvers.

You win bro...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        You win bro...
        +100 you win, hands down

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post

I Had the SAME thing happen to me- only difference being that I had to play out of a Marshall MG15DFX

mann that sucked!
          My Guitars
          Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
          Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
          Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
          Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
          Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
          Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
          Kramer Vanguard S-440S
          Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
          Kramer F-1000 (Black)
          Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Wow,
            I used a Squier 15 back in 1985 or 1986. It was pretty bad. We juiced it up with a Boss HM-2 I think which made it even crappier. Did use an Ibanez Destroyer though (with a Gibson Neck 490r? in the bridge - oof).

The other one was a crate solid state 2X12 that pretty mcuh sucked.

These were both three song garage practice gigs, not a real "gig" but it did sound crappy.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

i did a benefit show once and the house amp was a solid state crate with a pair of home stereo speakers for cabinets. it was hideous!!! it was one of threally old crates with the generic red logo, the wood case and ugly knobs....i was ready to say forget the cancerous children, but i am too good of a person. we played for 30 minutes and helped raise $25.00 for pediatric cancer research.....hahahahaha, i guess it is the thought that counts, huh?
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I ended up playing through some POS solid state Peavey 2x12 combo at a gig in Philly around '91 after we were told "no need to bring amps, there will be pro level gear there already". Surprisingly, I got a usable tone for about three songs until I blew up the amp! Our singer/rhythm player then had to let me finish the gig on his Peavey (exact same amp I just trashed). That gig couldn't end soon enough.

Comment

Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 or something. Horrible, horrible tone.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Some cheap ass Peavey with a 10" speaker in it.
                    It was SOOOOO bad.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      It was SOOOOO bad.
                      Yes yes I think I know the one...had to use one once...

Comment

An '80's two-channel Crate 2X12 combo.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                          It was SOOOOO bad.
                          A few years ago at my uni Battle of the Bands, we were told the venue would provide amps. It turned out to be one lone amp while we had two guitarists. I ended up using a Zoom 505 into a 10+ year old Peavey Rage 158 miked up. Beat that!! :ROTF:

Comment

I forget the model name, but in the store we had one of those Peavey "Boogie-alikes" 1x12, 3 channel, all-tube 60w thing. We used it as the "shop amp", 'cos it sounded lovely. I was asked to stand in on a gig one night, so I took it along. Bloody thing squealed like a pig. Completely uncontrollable at any volume...

Comment

I used a Cheap Yamaha 25 watt 1x8 . Solid state and it sucked but it was all I had.

Comment

Working...
                              X