Pedal for drop tunings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal for drop tunings?

Is there an effect pedal that can simulate alternate drop tunings?

If not, is this theoretically possible?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

I don't know about pedals but the variax does it very well
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

A whammy pedal can drop all strings down up to 1 step. I've used it to do 1/2 step too. There's a slight delay though, but it's not bad for live use.

Pete

Comment

The Digitech Whammy has a detune feature. If I remember correctly, it simulates a whole step down. Or you could use any pitch shifter and turn the effect level all the way up.
        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          A whammy pedal can drop all strings down up to 1 step. I've used it to do 1/2 step too. There's a slight delay though, but it's not bad for live use.

Pete
          So that does all strings simultaneously, but you couldn't accomplish Drop D for example with it?
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

nope, all strings at once.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
              The Digitech Whammy has a detune feature. If I remember correctly, it simulates a whole step down. Or you could use any pitch shifter and turn the effect level all the way up.
              The detune feature on the Whammy is actually a slight chorus/doubling effect. You'd have to use the pitch shift effects.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think it's actually called 'drop tune' - it's one of the last options on the Whammy IV I have.

Pete

Comment

that's a great idea using the whammy to drop-tune. The GT8 has something called pitch shifter. is that the same function as the whammy?
                  Sam

Comment

I think the best way to get this effect is to have atleast one guitar per-tuning you typically play in
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                      I think the best way to get this effect is to have atleast one guitar per-tuning you typically play in
                      True, that would be ideal, although if you have one predominant favorite guitar you play it would be nice to have an instant electronic method to jump around the tunings.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                        Which is a freakin' hassle and/or expensive. But maybe sometimes a necessity, depending on the tunings and/or how many alternate-tuning songs you have in your playlist.

In my last band, we were working on two down-tuned songs. This out of about 30 or more tunes at the time. I tried to get the rest of the band to just do them in standard A440 tuning instead, but the bass player was a hold-out. Stupid flake. So, after then, I had to come to practices each week with a least two guitars just for those songs. IIRC, it wasn't too much longer after then that I decided to leave the band. (...Not over just that. This example was a symptom of other issues.)

Comment

The VG Strat offers drop-D as one of the tuning options.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                            The VG Strat offers drop-D as one of the tuning options.
                            Yeah. but it costs an arm and a leg.
                            Sam

Comment

With all the technology available and the various effects already out there and the popularity of non-standard tunings, I'd think some company would at least have a pedal like this in the R&D stage if not further along. But maybe its not feasible.
                              Jackson KV2
                              Jackson KE1T
                              Jackson KE1F
                              Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
                              X