Pedal for drop tunings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
    The VG Strat offers drop-D as one of the tuning options.
    That having been said, if you put a Roland GK midi pickup on your guitar, can't most synths like the VG-99 do drop tunings?

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
      With all the technology available and the various effects already out there and the popularity of non-standard tunings, I'd think some company would at least have a pedal like this in the R&D stage if not further along. But maybe its not feasible.
      it's possible with a midi pickup. The pickup recognises that you're playing the 6th string and can tune that particular note down. As others have said, the VG strat can do it, as can the Roland pickup in conjunction with some kind of processor.

Apart from these options, how is a stand-alone pedal going to recognise what string you're playing? How will it know if that B you are playing is at the 7th fret of the low E or the 2nd fret on the A string?

And if you could set it up to somehow to pick up on some particular quality that a resonating 6th string has, how would the pedal then account for things like different string gauges, pickups, etc? Or tunings, for that matter (eg I tune to Eb, you tune to D)?
      Last edited by VitaminG; 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        it's possible with a midi pickup. The pickup recognises that you're playing the 6th string and can tune that particular note down. As others have said, the VG strat can do it, as can the Roland pickup in conjunction with some kind of processor.

Apart from these options, how is a stand-alone pedal going to recognise what string you're playing? How will it know if that B you are playing is at the 7th fret of the low E or the 2nd fret on the A string?

And if you could set it up to somehow to pick up on some particular quality that a resonating 6th string has, how would the pedal then account for things like different string gauges, pickups, etc? Or tunings, for that matter (eg I tune to Eb, you tune to D)?
        Good points, like I said maybe it isn't feasible, I don't have the technical know-how, maybe pedal-wise it can't go further than say the Boss tuner pedal.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

id just save a little more cash and buy a second guitar and drop tune it. its not like you're gonna switch tuning in the middle of a song right? the other guitarist uses drop c while i tune straight c. its hard to play some parts(impossible to do others) but the blend sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            Or tunings, for that matter (eg I tune to Eb, you tune to D)?
            I was picturing some sort of selector dial with say Drop D, E minor, and some of the other common ones that you could select.

Guess those guitars mentioned could do the trick but you have to like that guitar a lot I guess.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              I think it's actually called 'drop tune' - it's one of the last options on the Whammy IV I have.

Pete
              Not sure about the "drop tune", but I've got an XP100 Whammy/Wah, and there is a patch known as a "detuner" that is indeed a chorus/vibrato/doubling effect.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X